Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Raising Meat Rabbits  (Read 21197 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Re: Raising Meat Rabbits
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2020, 03:15:09 pm »
WooHoo! Congratulations

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2020, 12:27:52 pm »
Here's the babies!  We pulled the nest box out to count the babies and make sure they were all alive.  It was hard to count accurately because they were all alive and popcorning around in the nest.  There is definitely five, maybe six kits.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2020, 12:29:20 pm »
cute as buttons

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2020, 12:32:16 pm »
How about that! Congratulations! Do you have names picked out? lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2020, 02:44:49 pm »
How about that! Congratulations! Do you have names picked out? lol
I doubt there will be permanent naming (since they are meat animals), but I'm sure the younger kids will be calling them something once they get bigger.  They tend to call the meat chickens by certain names to tell them apart, but they change their names quite frequently.  We just watched The Hobbit with them, and they are calling the meat chickens the names of the dwarves right now.  :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2020, 03:51:20 pm »
It's pretty warm here today, so we took all the babies out to get an accurate count.  There are 6, and they all look very healthy.  They are all about the same size, and have full tummies, and pop around when you touch them.  They are just starting to get their fur, and they feel like velvet.  They are so cute!  :cheesy:   

Our other doe is pregnant as well and has started making her nest.  She's not doing quite as good of a job as the first doe, but I'm sure she'll get the hang of it. 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2020, 03:37:09 pm »
The babies are growing so fast!  They are all white now.  Here's a picture of one from today.  They are so cute!

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2020, 06:37:54 pm »
Yep, looks like they are looking healthy and content. Has your other doe birthed yet?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2020, 06:49:39 pm »
Yep, looks like they are looking healthy and content. Has your other doe birthed yet?
Not yet.  It's day 30 for her, so we are on baby watch.  :smile:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2020, 12:27:22 am »
Wow, what a difference 5 days makes!!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2020, 01:15:02 pm »
Wow, what a difference 5 days makes!!
I know, isn't it crazy! 

Our other doe kindled yesterday at around noon, and we counted the babies this morning.  She had 7, and all of them are alive and healthy too! 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2020, 01:08:44 am »
Wow Congratulations on success!  You may soon need to name your place Rabbit Ridge at the rate they are multiplying.  :shocked:  :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2020, 02:38:32 pm »
Okay, we are dying of cuteness over here!  Their eyes and ears are starting to open and they are fully furred now. 

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2020, 03:51:47 pm »
just melts the heart

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »
Here's a picture of them en masse.  They are becoming more and more active and are often sitting out in the front of the nest box if it's a warm afternoon. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2020, 01:49:58 am »
Yall have done a mighty fine job raising the rabbits. Are they all white from both batches? When I was a boy there was a rabbit man that had broods with mixed results. Some would come all white as the ones you have pictured and some would come white and black, some sorrel, some solid black. Really a good mix. I do not know what breed or breeds he raised, but they were meat rabbits. 

Phillip

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:07:07 am by Ben Framed »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2020, 10:48:27 am »
Yall have done a mighty fine job raising the rabbits. Are they all white from both batches? When I was a boy there was a rabbit man that had broods with mixed results. Some would come all white as the ones you have pictured and some would come white and black, some sorrel, some solid black. Really a good mix. I do not know what breed or breeds he raised, but they were meat rabbits. 

Phillip
Ours are New Zealand Whites, so yes, all of them are white.  I believe the New Zealands come in white, red, black, and patched, and if you mix them you can get all sorts of interesting colors.  We are also looking at getting some Silver Fox rabbits and perhaps mixing them with the New Zealands, so that would give us some different colors.       

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2020, 08:37:08 pm »
The babies are getting so big so fast.  Let's see. . . they were born on 4/14, so I guess they are 17 days old today.  They are almost fully mobile now, and hop around and investigate when we get them out.  After they've been out for a bit, they get really brave and start running around and popcorning.  It's so adorable!  They have also started showing an interest in solid food and are chewing on the hay in their nest box, although they aren't actually eating it yet.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2020, 08:14:53 pm »
The babies are getting more and more independent every day.  They now hop in and out of the nest box by themselves, and many of them are out and about in the cage on warm days.  They are starting to eat little bits of greens and bunny food.  Also we've noticed that, almost like chickens or sharks, if you turn them upside-down, they get really relaxed and sometimes even go to sleep.  It's really adorable!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2020, 07:50:34 pm »
We took the babies' nest box away today, so they are all just in the cage with Mama now.  They are almost big enough to go in the rabbit tractor!  We tried sexing them today, which probably didn't go well, since we seem to have gotten all girls!  :wink:  We'll try again when they are a bit bigger, and we can compare the slightly younger babies to them as well.