Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Winsted, CT  (Read 11283 times)

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
Re: Hello from Winsted, CT
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 06:39:53 pm »
Thanks dlmarti I wish I had thought of that when I was there. Guess I didn't realize the service was available. So a good plan is to call the library tomorrow and perhaps they will get them ready for my return, we'll see.

I have been reading and find the rigid masks seem to be preferable. Also if I understand there is a hood that zips on to the rest of the suit. This seems the way to go. I must soon order a suit, gloves and smoker just for starters. I think some of the beginner packs may not include the more desireable suit or smoker. Any suggestions? Perhaps I should order at least a nuc and some bees to get something in the works while I make some hive parts.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 11:22:36 pm »
>Yeah, thats a question I haven't answered either,  do I go with the medium or deep boxes, do I go with the 8 frame or the 10 frame boxes.

The real question is: "how much do you want to lift?"

Standard 10 Frame boxes
Name(s) Depth Weight full of honey Uses
Jumbo, Dadant Deep 11 5/8" 100 - 110 pounds Brood
Deep, Langstroth Deep 9 5/8" 80 - 90 pounds Brood & Ext
Western Bee Supply 7 5/8" 70 - 80 pounds Brood & Ext
Medium, Illinois, 3/4 6 5/8" 60 - 70 pounds Brood & Ext & Cmb
Shallow 5 ¾" or 5 11/16" 50 - 60 pounds Cmb
Extra Shallow, ½ 4 ¾" or 4 11/16" 40 - 50 pounds Cmb

8 frame boxes:
Jumbo, Dadant Deep 11 5/8" 80-88 lbs
Deep 9 5/8" 64-72 lbs
Western Bee Supply 7 5/8" 56-64 lbs
Medium, Illinois 6 5/8" 48-56 lbs
Shallow 5 3/4" or 5 11/16" 40-48 lbs
Extra Shallow 4 ¾" or 4 11/16" 32-40 lbs

>It seams like all of the books default to two deep 10 frames, for the bottom of the hive, and then medium supers above that.

Not all of them.  "The Backyard Beekeeper" doesn't.

>The people that are enjoying the hobby, and not trying to make a living at it, seem to suggest the lighter weight solutions.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes

>Still, I haven't decided yet.  There is alot to be said by having all of your equipment being the same.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#uniformframesize

> Maybe I'll go with the 10 frame mediums.  Its a standard size, and if I wanted to go to the larger ones I could easily.

Absolutely.

>  Also companies stock the 10 frame boxes, than the 8 frame.

Actually almost all of them have eight frame boxes they just don't tell you they do.  Recently more of them have been telling you.  Currently, Miller Bee Supply, Brushy Mt, Betterbee, Mann Lake and Western Bee Supply TELL you they have them and list them in their catalogs.

>The nuc I just ordered has the deep frames, not many sources for the medium frames.

There are more every year.  I know Bjorn in Pennsylvania has mediums and Don (Fatbeeman) in Georgia has mediums, and usually I have mediums.  I'm sure there are others, but the norm still seems to be deeps.  The nice thing is you can buy an eight frame deep box and leave it on the bottom and use all the rest as mediums and then eventually cut down the deep.

Another option is build a 3" tall five frame wide shim, just like the top three inches off of a five frame nuc (or buy a medium five frame nuc an cut the top 3" off) and put the five deeps on one side in that and finish out the frames with mediums.  As that fills you can move the shim and the deeps up to the next box and fill out the bottom one with mediums and work your way up like that.  :)

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 11:27:25 pm »
Welcome, I hope you'll find this forum as helpful as I do - loads of smart beekeepers with lots of willingness to share!  My favorite beginner book is Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum editor of Bee Culture.  It's easy to read and recommends taking care of the beekeeper (medium boxes, etc) as well as taking care of the bees.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 10:29:54 am »
Everyone has been so helpfull. I am leaning toward setting up to make mediums and stack three to take the place of two supers on the bottom. Seems to be about the same size as the two large. I like having a uniformity in parts. These will be ten frame boxes.

What I need to determine now is when I can have stuff ready so I can coordinate shipping of the bees with completion of the hive. I suspect I can have the parts made in less than two weeks. How long does it take to get the bees? In order to speed up the process I probably should order my frames complete to save time. I will make the others as I need them.

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 11:23:04 am »
Agreed, after reading Michael's post, I think I'm going with 10 frame mediums also.

As to bee availability, its getting hard to find packages around (its getting late).
I did see that Draperbee has another shipment coming in at the end of the month.
They aren't that far from you and me.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 03:21:56 pm »
Everyone has been so helpfull. I am leaning toward setting up to make mediums and stack three to take the place of two supers on the bottom. Seems to be about the same size as the two large. I like having a uniformity in parts. These will be ten frame boxes.
To Charlie and dlmarti, just go with mediums, you won't be sorry.  I can deal with the weight of the mediums, I know I'd have trouble with the deeps and it just isn't true that you don't lift all of the hive bodies at some point!  We've even bought medium nucs from Brushy Mountain, they're two high instead of one high to make up for the difference, and have screened bottom boards and telescoping covers.  Hubby (woodchopper) is in there painting them up right now, they're so neat looking, I'll have to post a picture when he's done.

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 03:30:37 pm »
To Charlie and dlmarti, just go with mediums, you won't be sorry.  I can deal with the weight of the mediums, I know I'd have trouble with the deeps and it just isn't true that you don't lift all of the hive bodies at some point!  We've even bought medium nucs from Brushy Mountain, they're two high instead of one high to make up for the difference, and have screened bottom boards and telescoping covers.  Hubby (woodchopper) is in there painting them up right now, they're so neat looking, I'll have to post a picture when he's done.

So that means you purchased a nuc, and then a nuc body right?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 05:10:04 pm »
Nope, just the nuc.  Look again at the picture, you'll see there are two boxes there for the nuc.  If we were planning on overwintering in nucs then we'd buy the body, too, one for each nuc.

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 05:36:53 pm »
I'm sold, I called my supplier and had them switch my order over to medium depth.
The order was already being packed, they weren't overjoyed, but luckly they were nice enough to change everything over.

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 05:45:12 pm »
I just may buy two of those nucs myself. It would save a lot of worry as to having my hives ready and allow me to get a brood going and have it build up this season while I do some studying. It seems Brushy Mountain is as good as any to get the gear also.

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 04:41:18 pm »
Wooo Hooo. The commitment is made. Just ordered two nucs, a smoker and two bags of bees. Frugal purshasing of the protective garments will be important as the costs do add up. Guess I just may give up one deep sea fishing trip this year. Fair trade to be sure.

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 09:27:22 pm »
That's great! You are going to love it!

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 11:08:09 am »
Sorry to confuse but I realized I would not be happy with the name I picked. I woodwork for a living and have made many of the shaker furniture pieces that are available for reproduction. Sometimes I repair authentic stuff as well. A friend once told me I would have been better suited to the way of life 100 years ago. I think in some ways that is true. In deferance to my shaker interests and the shaker committment to beekeeping I have chosen this new name. Hope you like it.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 06:38:31 pm »
I think it is great when you can be so handy. I know many women are also handy with carpentry, but I am not one of them. I have never built anything in my life, so this makes the hobby more expensive for me. Maybe down the line I will have the confidence to try to build some of the equipment. For now, I purchase everything assembled.

good luck to you. this is a great hobby. Let us know how you are doing every step of the way. And by the way, my bible was "beekeeping for dummies". Just the nice way it was written, so simple and upbeat. Good book to begin with.

Annette

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 09:11:22 am »
Thanks Annette. There are sacrifices to be made in my trade but the end products make it worthwhile. I may have done better as a IT guy but the satisfaction of working for myself and the independence it allows are somethings you can't put a value on. I have noticed that some hives are not made with real exacting standards which makes me think most could build one with a little patience. The bees won't know if it's prefect. We build homes in Mexico sometimes as a charity. They are not perfect either but the people love them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:53:25 pm by shakerbeeman »

Offline Primrose

• New Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 08:52:47 am »
Hi Shakerbeeman,
I just wanted to say Hello.   :)  I'm in New Preston, CT so we're pretty close.  I don't have bees yet although I'm very interested and need to get a good book.  MY husband has a friend with bees so I'm hoping he'll help me a little aslo. Have a great weekend!   

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 10:17:59 am »
Hi Primrose.  Glad to have others close that have similar interests. My bees are coming next week and am excited. Just a few things left to do to bear proof my hives.

New Preston is such a nice area. I made a kitchen for a beautiful stone home out past Lake Waramog a couple years ago.

I think I know a fellow in Bantam that did beekeeping. Am trying to get to see him and wonder if he still does it. As for now I am learning on my own and from reading. The information gleaned from this forum is indespensible.

Keep in touch.

anything