BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Spacing the first frame in a horizontal hive

(1/2) > >>

Bob Wilson:
One of the difficulties of a horizontal langstroth is getting to the first frame. I have to slide each and every honey frame backwards, to get to the brood nest.
Can I leave some space between the first frame and the hive's entrance wall, where the brood nest is? That way, I can push the first frame closer to the entrance wall, and have room to pull out the second frame without rolling the bees or squishing the queen.
How much room can I leave without them building more comb in the gap?
A frame pushed flat against the entrance wall, with its side bars touching the hive front wall, has 1/8 inch space between the top bar and the wall. Any two frames pushed together have 1/4 inch between their top bars.
Can I pull the first frame's side bars 3/8 inch back from the wall, which will leave 4/8 (1/2) inch between the top bar and the entrance wall?

cao:
Mine have about 1/4" between endbars and front wall.  You could probably get by with a little more.  As long as that frame is drawn straight they will tolerate a little more space without too much burr comb.

Bob Wilson:
That makes 3/8 inch between the top bar of the frame and the hive body wall. Thanks Cao.

seanconnery:
I agree: I use 3 - ⅛" spacers at entry before the first bar/comb for my 2 TBHives.

Bob Wilson:
Thanks. I spaced the first frame back a little bit in two of my hives today. It will make life easier next time I go in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version