Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible 1st Honey Harvest  (Read 1621 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Possible 1st Honey Harvest
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:56:22 pm »
I checked my bees today. They are fully in the honey super and crowded in there really nice. They are building comb nicely. The only problem is that we are nearing the end of our flow. We have private and Chinese Popcorn Trees(my name for them left) and some clover and the late clover I planted left to bloom in our flow. The late clover is starting to bloom in places.

My question is this can you get honey off my 2 remaining wild sources?.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Possible 1st Honey Harvest
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:29:33 am »
I've never experienced it but they say Popcorn trees are the bomb - tons of nectar
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:48:52 am »
My question is this can you get honey off my 2 remaining wild sources?.

I can't, but the bees might be able.  It is a simple equation.  If there is more coming in then the colony is consuming then you will get honey.  If your flows are nearing their end then you have a lot of calendar left before the nectar comes back.  I would never take honey under this situation because I don't want to feed them sugar.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:19:54 am »
Thanks. THe popcorn trees will extend this about a month. I might take some in two weeks if there is any for the taking and leave the next two weeks to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:38:05 pm »
Thanks. THe popcorn trees will extend this about a month. I might take some in two weeks if there is any for the taking and leave the next two weeks to them.
Popcorn are a good source of honey especially in an area where they have taken over, which they do. With a full hive you may need 2 supers for each hive especially if they are already drawn.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:33:59 pm »
They have not taken over yet. Just a few one tree near with a few more probably scattered about. I have not done an extensive tree search in the near vicinity jsut trusting to the wildness of the area for a good tree variety.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 05:50:07 pm »
I never heard of a popcorn tree... Benjamin's booboo.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:49:05 pm »
Ace, I tried to get these trees started many years they never bloomed and all died some were 8-10 years old.  I live in NE Texas and it is to cold for "Chinese Tallow Berry" to thrive.  From what my friends in South Texas tell me I am blessed, This tree is very hard to control and is very invasive.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:46:32 pm »
We have many plants up here that are invasive in the south.  Our whole back yard was covered with Virginia creeper.  I thought it would take forever to get rid of it in the area we set up as a vegetable garden but it was no problem at all.  It was more of a problem getting ahead of the euphrates grass.  In another garden I planted horse radish because we love it but that was a huge mistake.  Plant that in your lawn and mow around it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 01:08:00 am »
Whenever we see a popcorn tree coming in we pull it IMMEDIATELY.  They are nothing but a mess!

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 10:37:18 am »
They have not taken over and in fact 3 have died around the hive. They ewre old though and I think last years drought got one. I will eliminate the ones that are in the way but if they are just on the edge of the woods or long a fence row I will let them live for hte bees.