Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Roof comb in a newly hived swarm  (Read 1497 times)

Offline DaveB

• Brood
Roof comb in a newly hived swarm
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:58:43 am »
Hi

I am a newcomber to beekeeping. Four days ago I collected a good-sized swarm from my vegetable garden and put it inside a new Langstroth-type hive. I only had three frames, so I place them on either side and got another 5 today. Opening the hive this morning, the bees have got way ahead of me and have completed two vertical combs attached to the roof. There are a lot of bees and they're very active. There seems to be a mixture of honey and brood in the comb.

I don't really want to destroy all this effort! Can I somehow relocate the comb so I can manage the hive, without destroying it?

Sincerely

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Re: Roof comb in a newly hived swarm
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:13:11 am »
You could put the new comb in one of your frames without foundation, rubber bands holding it upright.

watch some videos made by J P the bee man.  He has plenty on you tube, you will see how to deal with your comb.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 04:25:36 pm »
I recommend exactly as Splitrock replied.  If your frames have plastic foundation, you can flex the plastic frame to remove it, leaving the frame open, hollow.  Then add the carefully removed wax and use rubber bands (what I use) or even string to hold the wax steady.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:24 am »
Use another cover or inner cover or cloth / plastic cover over the frames so the bees don't go back to the fresh wax on the roof.  Once they have established comb in the removable frames you should be all right.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:48:02 am »
NEVER put bees in a hive not full of frames. The empty space will ALWAYS be used for natural comb before they use the frames.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:55:43 pm »
And they like to start close to the middle most of the time so you gave them lots of room to do it.  Lesson learned.  Just be careful when you move the comb.  New comb is pretty breakable, and you'll probably lose some, but preserve the brood the best you can.  Watch for the queen so that you don't smash her.   :wink:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.