Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New guy from Arkansas  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
New guy from Arkansas
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:12:59 pm »
Hello everyone. I just found this forum by accident. I have never had bees but have been wanting to for several years. It seems that fate is throwing me into it this year. I'll tell that story later. Right now I am too tired from treating a wall apart today.
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline moebees

• House Bee
Re: New guy from Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:35:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum Flydowm.  Look forward to hearing your story.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 09:48:16 pm »
Welcome.  :happy:

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:53 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:44:31 am »
Welcome Flydown. Looking forward to your adventures. :smile:
Neill

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:00:19 pm »
Welcome Flydown. Looking forward to your adventures. :smile:

Well, I had one today. I top a bee vacuum and got a bunch of bees out of an old building.
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:50:57 pm »
Any pics?
Neill

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 04:23:12 pm »
No pics. I have never messed with bees before and the person helping me has very little experience with them. She had never done anything like that before. A guy I know gave me a bee vac and a hive box. I could not find an experienced beekeeper to help me so I got as much advice as I could and I went for it. Now I'm going to ask you guys what I need to do to take care of them.
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 05:38:49 pm »
Do you think you got the queen?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 08:17:33 pm »
Do you think you got the queen?
I really don't know. I was able to get some young brood comb and rubber band it into empty frames like I have read about. When I dumped the bees from the vacuum box, some fell outside the box. About 10 minutes later, almost all of them had moved inside. They seem to still be hanging around today. I guess we'll see how it goes.
Do I need to try to feed them?
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:14:39 pm »
I never feed.  If you didn't get the queen you need a few 3day old larvae not just brood for the colony to make a queen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:21:38 pm »
I never feed.  If you didn't get the queen you need a few 3day old larvae not just brood for the colony to make a queen.

Yeah. I couldn't quite think of exactly what I was trying to say. The person working with me said I was good in that area.
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:06:21 pm »
Sounds like you just jumped in with both feet. :wink:  You might get overwelmed with questions and answers.  From what you have said, it sounds like you are off to a pretty good start.  Assuming you got the queen or have eggs the right age for them to make a queen, I would let them alone and let them get settled.  This will give you time to do some reading.  If you have plants flowering in your area then I don't think feeding is a necessity. 

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 11:20:36 pm »
Sounds like you just jumped in with both feet. :wink:  You might get overwelmed with questions and answers.  From what you have said, it sounds like you are off to a pretty good start.  Assuming you got the queen or have eggs the right age for them to make a queen, I would let them alone and let them get settled.  This will give you time to do some reading.  If you have plants flowering in your area then I don't think feeding is a necessity.

I definitely jumped in with both feet. We have lots of plants flowering in the area.
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 10:04:24 pm »
Welcome neighbor
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)