Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: #8 Hardware Cloth Substitution  (Read 1507 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
#8 Hardware Cloth Substitution
« on: July 05, 2022, 11:23:06 am »
Our friends in Australia are in the process of fighting off Varroa Destructor. They do not seem to have handy in some areas #8 hardware cloth, the basic material needed to make alcohol wash container tools. Anyone have any good ideas how to do a successful mite wash 'without' #8 hardware cloth or, (without a mite wash kit as sold by some bee supply companies in countries which deal with varroa)? Im sure any good ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phillip

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:18:11 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: #8 Hardware Cloth Substitution
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 10:33:55 pm »
In a pinch you could use laundry bag material.  Some of the nuc sellers near me offer pickup in a laundry bag.  If the netting isn't too big, the bags that onions and other fruits/veggies come in would work well also.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 10:51:48 pm »
Yes, thanks beesnweeds, anything that will allow expired varroa to easily pass through while excluding expired bees from passing through! Excellent and thanks!

Any other ideas anyone?

Phillip
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:47:07 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 09:00:41 am »
#7 hardware cloth will work.
#6 hardware cloth will barely let a bee wiggle it's way through, so it would work.
#5 hardware cloth they have to work a bit to get through so it would work.
#4 would be a waste of time... too big.

https://bushfarms.com/beeshardwarecloth.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 09:00:47 am »
Perfect opportunity for a screen manufacturer to start offering it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 10:28:03 am »
Most of the hardware cloth that ends up in the US comes from China.  I'm sure they would be happy to sell it in Australia.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 11:07:39 am »
Thank you Michael Bush. I had previously found and posted information posted by you of different size hardware cloth from one of your post, posted in 2009. I posted this a couple days ago on the topic "Varroa detected in Australia" in the DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING section. Thank you for your good information concerning hardware cloth in 2009 and now!

Thank you Acebird. Yes it can be manufactured there in Australia. However the need for a successful mite wash is immediate. No doubt products needed to deal with varroa will come in time 'if the mite is not eradicated soon'. Items such as mite wash kits as sold by some bee supply companies in countries which deal with varroa for instance, as well OAV applicators and all other things needed to deal with varroa. In the mean time, ideas of immediate successful 'mite wash' methods without hardware cloth or, without mite wash kits would be of great help and appreciated.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 11:14:18 am »
Most of the hardware cloth that ends up in the US comes from China.  I'm sure they would be happy to sell it in Australia.

This is true, the question is how long will it take for the order be filled, shipped, and placed in the hands of the needed. The need (from my understanding) is immediate.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 02:29:21 pm »
My sister had an idea about this.  She knows about these plastic mats that are used for cheese aging, which are like a plastic grid so the cheese can breathe.  Something like this: https://cheesemaking.com/collections/aging/products/ripening-mat-for-cheese-making-medium-mesh

Do you guys down under have something like this?  I think the New England Cheese Making Co. ships worldwide, if someone wanted to give it a try.  They even have difference gauges of mesh.  I'm not sure the mesh is exactly the right size, but it looks pretty close just by the pictures. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 02:09:26 pm »
Also, I should mention that #5 hardware cloth in most other countries that use metric measurements is often called "coffee cloth" or "coffee mesh" because it's used to sift coffee beans.  That would work, as mentioned above, because although the bees can get through it, they have to struggle to get through it.
-------------------

Online NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 02:43:57 pm »
Alternatively if you have open mesh floors just stick a board underneath for a few days and see what you find has dropped onto it..
Won't give you exact levels but will give you a simple yes we see varroa/no we don't see varroa. If you see lots of varroa....you are in trouble :)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 03:15:31 pm »
Thank you Mr Bush, Nigel, and crew. In the mean time Lesgold came up with an alternative that fit the bill. (I do not know the situation in Australia 'at the present time' concerning 'this' subject). Les wrote the following in the Down Under Beekeeping Section , Topic: "Varroa detected in Australia" a week or so ago. I appoligie for not updating his idea 'here' at that time.

Phillip

Hi Guys.

A few years ago I made a couple of top bar hives. I had the same problem in finding a small gauge mesh. In the end I found this stuff :

It?s actually a brand of gutter guard that I found at a local hardware store. It?s made from aluminium and comes in at about 7 segments to the inch. As you can see, the spaces are not square and the thickness of each aluminium section is slightly thicker than what you would see on hardware cloth. The main point is that bees did not get through it. It can be purchased in rolls up to about 250mm wide. Max, if you want a piece, PM me with your address and I?ll post a piece to you.

Cheers

Les

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 03:41:42 pm by Ben Framed »

anything