Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eco Wood Treatment  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Eco Wood Treatment
« on: July 04, 2022, 12:48:15 am »
Has anyone tried Eco Wood Treatment? It sounds too good to be true.
One treatment. Lasts forever. Nontoxic.
You can dip boxes like you guys with parrafin wax do.
Website.
https://ecowoodtreatment.com/
Youtube
https://youtu.be/Qdvis-lxzmA

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Eco Wood Treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 01:32:12 am »
Bob if I'm not mistaken, this is what SteveO from "Steves Outdoor World" uses.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 09:30:33 pm »
It is and I have a couple of his 5 framers
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 06:50:12 am »
I think I have a sample of it around here.  I never used it.  I should try to find it and use it on things I haven't had time to wax dip and I don't have enough to fire up the wax...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:21:08 am »
It is and I have a couple of his 5 framers

If I?m not mistaken, SteveO soaked his wood longer than the guy in the video above?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 10:32:33 am »
I tried it.  It's shipped as a powder and mixed with water before use.  It looks orange when mixed and is very runny, so it slops on quick.

At first the wood doesn't look any different.  After a few months, it starts to look weathered.  I still do see a little mildew on corners but I live in Florida the humidity capital of the western world.

After 2 years, next to crip white hives, they look a bit grubby - def. the ol' barn wood look.  But if all were the same, and the purpose is only an easier upkeep, I'd have to admit I haven't painted those nuc boxes in 2 years. :)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 08:06:03 am »
Just for comparison,  these boxes have no paint or treatment at all, only that I painted titebond-3 on the grain ends while I was putting them together. They have been outside for three years (4-way mating nuc boxes)  I got them from a friend who got them I think from Western bee supply, so they're probably Idaho spruce. That's a guess. ;)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:26 am »
>" The flu was rampant and we wore flu masks. " -- Jay Smith, _Better Queens_

That one was the Spanish Flu.  Now we know that the masks caused a lot of the problems...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 09:05:19 am »
This sounds a bit fishy to me.
In order for it to work it has to be a chemical that is toxic to the organisms that attack wood.  It is true that there are natural resins in the heartwood of all trees that inhibit the destruction of dead wood.  It would be a far stretch to claim these are not chemicals and not toxic to something.  There are many chemicals that preserve wood but I would be reluctant to have them near my food source.
What is the chemical in this Eco Wood Treatment?  They don't seem to what to reveal it.  Then it can be determined if it is a good idea to use around bee hives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 01:19:12 pm »
It's hard to say if it would hurt the bees.  It might.  But hurting insects that are attempting to eat the wood, and fungi that are attempting to eat the wood may not have much affect on the bees who are not trying to eat the wood.  I had a conversation with someone at one point who seemed to know and if I remember right the treatment is some combination of minerals.  Though that doesn't guarantee it won't harm the bees...  Seems like it was several of them.
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 08:56:13 am »
I always have suspicion when the  ingredients are not reviled.  Seems like the formulation should be covered by a patent unless it is so common.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 01:33:24 pm »
Ace,
I agree with you but patents are broke every day. I was going to patent a handicap list system that we developed for my son. Did a search and everything. The way the rules are written it is very easy for a good lawyer to break them. The day you start working on a project, you better know if you are going to patent it or not. If someone out side of your group sees your item without a legal signed document, it makes it easy to break the patent.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 04:00:18 pm »
>" The flu was rampant and we wore flu masks. " -- Jay Smith, _Better Queens_

That one was the Spanish Flu.  Now we know that the masks caused a lot of the problems...
Ha! I forgot that was my sig. I was reading that book at the same time the covipolitick was taking flight and I thought it had some irony.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2022, 08:55:34 am »
Ace,
I agree with you but patents are broke every day.
Yes, I agree patents are worthless for the little guy.  You have to have enough capital to protect your right even if the patent is granted.  Spoils of capitalism.
My feeling is you are better off documenting everything about your idea and publishing it so anyone can copy.  Then compete on the basis of cost of manufacture or reliability of how it works.  As a small entrepreneur if you are not willing to divulge what you have then it can't be much.  More than likely you are just a salesman and not an inventor.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 09:02:42 am »
Ace,
I agree with you but patents are broke every day.
Yes, I agree patents are worthless for the little guy.  You have to have enough capital to protect your right even if the patent is granted.  Spoils of capitalism.
My feeling is you are better off documenting everything about your idea and publishing it so anyone can copy.  Then compete on the basis of cost of manufacture or reliability of how it works.  As a small entrepreneur if you are not willing to divulge what you have then it can't be much.  More than likely you are just a salesman and not an inventor.

Yes, I agree patents are worthless for the little guy.

Not so in all cases. I know a fellow who 'was' a little guy, who invented and patented a simple restrictor that restricts back flow though telephone lines for the use of phone linemen/repairmen to keep from getting the small voltage shock while working on a line problem. He has made Millions.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 10:45:10 am »
Ben,
I wish I knew about that device when I was telephone service tech. I received more heart felt shocks in one year than I did in 25 years as an electronics tech and I worked on lots of equipment that made megawatts of output power.
Those modems that were used to provide two lines one one copper pair used 200 volts and when you were backed onto a bush working on the outside box they would get you real good.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2022, 11:03:02 am »
Jim, I sent you a PM

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2023, 08:31:57 pm »
Has anyone tried Eco Wood Treatment? It sounds too good to be true.
One treatment. Lasts forever. Nontoxic.
You can dip boxes like you guys with parrafin wax do.
Website.
https://ecowoodtreatment.com/
Youtube
https://youtu.be/Qdvis-lxzmA

Hello Bob, did you give this a try?

Phillip

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 08:52:12 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2023, 12:46:00 pm »
We use it all the time. I know beeks who have hives that were treated 10 years ago. They are still in good shape. If you are worried, it can be painted over.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 01:41:35 pm »
We use it all the time. I know beeks who have hives that were treated 10 years ago. They are still in good shape. If you are worried, it can be painted over.

Thanks iddee