Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dark Brown Honey  (Read 1235 times)

Offline QueenBee422

• New Bee
Dark Brown Honey
« on: June 19, 2022, 11:00:31 am »
I just extracted some honey from frames I had in the freezer from last summer.  Does freezing make the honey darker?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Dark Brown Honey
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 11:15:25 am »
No, the source of nectar makes the color of honey.  I got some honey out of a freezer, this week, that had been in a freezer a year it is the same in every way as it was when it went in the freezer.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 01:38:15 pm »
Paus is correct, freezing doesn't affect the honey in any way, and different honey colors come from the different colored flower nectars.  I have some dark honey coming in right now.  It happens every June, and I just can't seem to nail down exactly what the source is.  If you have VERY dark comb, it can affect the color and flavor of the honey a little bit, especially if you are crushing and straining like I do, but other than that, the difference between honeys is only due to the nectar source.         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 02:15:49 pm »
QueenBee422
I have noticed the darker the honey, the stronger the flavor. Therefore I favor the lighter colored honey. After reading The15Members post I would like to ask you, how would you describe the taste of your dark honey?

Thanks,

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 05:28:22 pm »
Buckwheat makes a very dark and kind of strong tasting honey.  My favorite!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 09:29:14 pm »
I haven't had buckwheat honey Kathy. If I ever get the chance I will try it.  :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline QueenBee422

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 10:25:36 am »
I would say it is a richer honey flavor - not super sweet (but sweet) and smooth.  Delicious!
These frames were pulled July/August 2021  I intentionally did not pull anything after that for the bees to have for the winter.

QueenBee422
I have noticed the darker the honey, the stronger the flavor. Therefore I favor the lighter colored honey. After reading The15Members post I would like to ask you, how would you describe the taste of your dark honey?

Thanks,

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 07:34:19 am »
Time makes it darker...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin