Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Raising Meat Rabbits  (Read 21209 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Raising Meat Rabbits
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2020, 08:34:16 pm »
Unless you know the does cycle, you can miss it with just one day of mating.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2020, 09:24:47 pm »
I've always followed the does cycle and then mated for 2 or 3 falls, because I'd read you shouldn't leave them together without supervision as one might kill the other, but obviously that has not been an issue for Jim. Good luck Member - hope you have kits soon

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 11:02:36 am »
Unless you know the does cycle, you can miss it with just one day of mating.
Jim Altmiller
I've always followed the does cycle and then mated for 2 or 3 falls, because I'd read you shouldn't leave them together without supervision as one might kill the other, but obviously that has not been an issue for Jim. Good luck Member - hope you have kits soon
I haven't heard anything about tracking the does' cycles.  How do you know if they are in heat?           
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »
You check the does vulva.  Reddish purple to dark pink is an indication of readiness.  Light to whitish pink is not.  May not be spot on but is a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 04:43:04 pm »
You check the does vulva.  Reddish purple to dark pink is an indication of readiness.  Light to whitish pink is not.  May not be spot on but is a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition, check the moisture of the vulva. It is usually dry when the color is whitish pink, but when she's ready there should be moisture along with the darker color

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 05:12:49 pm »
In addition, check the moisture of the vulva. It is usually dry when the color is whitish pink, but when she's ready there should be moisture along with the darker color
Thanks, good to know.  Our doe seemed to act receptive toward the buck.  Do you think that is an indicator as well, or will she act interested in him regardless? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2020, 08:24:32 am »
Our doe seemed to act receptive toward the buck.  Do you think that is an indicator as well

I do

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2020, 07:11:12 pm »
One of our does is acting pregnant!  This morning my sister went back to see them, and our one female was holding a bunch of her hay in her mouth, which we learned is a sign she's thinking about making a nest.  So we put a nest box and some more hay in for her, and she's been working on her nest all day.  The only problem is, she's been making a nest outside the box.  We moved the box opening to the spot that she's put the nest, so hopefully that will entice her to build it in the box instead.  We are so excited.  We could have baby bunnies for Easter!     

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2020, 07:23:37 pm »
Yay!

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2020, 12:15:08 pm »
This morning my dad noticed that our rabbit is now building her nest in the box, and she's started pulling her fur out to line the nest! 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2020, 02:29:19 pm »
Won't be long now!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2020, 08:35:40 pm »
It's going to be around 30 degrees Fahrenheit tonight and tomorrow night.  Should we be concerned about her possibly having the kits on one of these cold nights? 

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2020, 10:48:15 am »
I would not be concerned, mama will keep them warm

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2020, 11:50:47 am »
I would not be concerned, mama will keep them warm
Good.  We figured it wasn't much of a problem, but just wanted to be sure.  From what I've heard, rabbits generally have more problems with heat than cold.   

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2020, 07:59:50 pm »
Any news on the rabbit front?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2020, 08:16:45 pm »
Any news on the rabbit front?
Just patiently waiting.  Our female has been working on her nest more, and seems to have built a good nest now.  We keep checking, but no babies yet. 

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2020, 08:24:09 pm »
Just patiently waiting . . .

you could take bets on how many kits will be born, like if I'm right, you've got to do this chore for me, etc. That would really enhance your anticipation.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2020, 09:18:35 pm »
Just patiently waiting . . .

you could take bets on how many kits will be born, like if I'm right, you've got to do this chore for me, etc. That would really enhance your anticipation.
That would make it interesting.  We have taken guesses, but no stakes.  We aren't a very competitive bunch, well, except my one sister, who is insanely competitive, but you really need 2 to make a competition.  And she's so ultra competitive that she actually doesn't enjoy competition, because it'll just make her mad. 

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2020, 08:46:38 am »
Well there's always that . . .

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2020, 02:34:55 pm »
We have babies!!  We are all outside cleaning the garage out today, so we've been checking periodically, and at about 11:45 my sister noticed a little bit of blood on the mama's feet, so she checked the nest box and there was movement under the fur!  :grin: