Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: round 2 of torture  (Read 5169 times)

Offline akane

• New Bee
round 2 of torture
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:45:12 am »
Who wants to join me waiting for the next hatch?

139 quail eggs due to hatch starting tonight:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/button-quail

Quail are even more annoying than chickens because the eggs just sit there doing nothing and not even peeping until suddenly all the quail pop out at once.  It is really entertaining if your there when the majority all break out of their eggs though.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: round 2 of torture
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:22:04 am »
Hmmm...so far it is about as exciting as watching paint dry....  :-D
Rick

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:24:04 am »
OK. Well, it's off to the snail races.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:09 pm »
Akane, I tried to look at the video, but it was only a picture, nothing moving.  Did you get any of the quails popping out?  I really would LOVE to see that, if you can get the video to play for us, something wrong there. HAve a great, most wonderful day, life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
I tried to look at the video, but it was only a picture, nothing moving.
That's why I call it torture.  I see the same thing but not on a screen.  I spend all day wondering if they are dead until they finally start hatching.

Several pips but none have hatched yet.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:38:27 pm »
Thats really exciting Akane!! :-D
 I cant wait till you come out with the follow up version, part 2!
Just kidding!
 But, thats alotta eggs setting there!..and you gotta trim their beeks after they hatch, dont you?
your friend,
john

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:53:26 pm »
If you don't crowd them you don't need to trim beaks.  They do occasionally on pheasant but quail and chickens you shouldn't need to.  If you do then you aren't keeping them in enough space or proper conditions.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »
Absolutely, say no to beek trimming.

Akane!!!  Of course there would be no motion on the video, they just suddenly hatch, like you said.  How dumb of me to expect to see some movement, smiling..... 8-)

By now, they must have all hatched, tell us more.  I loved the look of the beautiful shapes on the eggs, lovely.  Beautiful day in this great thing we call life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:28 am »
They are just now getting serious.  :-D  5 out and several have made some holes in the shell and are sitting there debating it.

Honestly sometimes they do just hatch and pop out of the egg with no warning lol  I had someone sit around for 17hrs waiting and seeing nothing, leave for 10mins, and when they got back most had hatched.  Sometimes they'll go from not a mark on the egg to the top popping off and a chick out running around before you even realize it.  Then some will sit there for half a day making one little peck mark at a time.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 12:42:49 am »
They are just now getting serious.  :-D  5 out and several have made some holes in the shell and are sitting there debating it.

Honestly sometimes they do just hatch and pop out of the egg with no warning lol  I had someone sit around for 17hrs waiting and seeing nothing, leave for 10mins, and when they got back most had hatched.  Sometimes they'll go from not a mark on the egg to the top popping off and a chick out running around before you even realize it.  Then some will sit there for half a day making one little peck mark at a time.

Hey! I saw some hatch out, it was pretty cool!

Cindi, let me ask you this. If Whoppo's bill had been snipped would he still be around?

...JP :yippiechick:
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:30:37 am »
The action is getting started there were 4 hatching as I watched, had to look close because were barely in the frame and wiggle, wait, wiggle, wait.....
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 03:46:19 am »
About 30 hatched now.  They are hatching 2-4 at a time although most aren't on camera but it's hard to get a camera that covers that much area.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:48 pm »
Oh yeah!!! Now THATS much cooler than last tiome I looked! I didnt really know that this was going on all the time!!
Way ta go akane!
your friend,
john

anything