Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bushkill 4-way Mating Nuc  (Read 64136 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Bushkill 4-way Mating Nuc
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 11:57:23 pm »
Hey Robo...havent seen you on here much, so I hope all is well. Just wanted to let you know that I just built the 4-way mating nuc and that all went together like a breeze. Thanks for the plans..So easy to follow that even I could do it.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 05:38:05 pm »
Quick question on the materials. The plans you have on the site show how to make four of them out of one sheet of plywood. Those plans are VERY helpful by the way, thanks so much.

I must say that I don't know my plywood very well. I went to the store today to take a look, and I don't really know what the differences are. Can you tell me what materials would be better? I've read that OSB doesn't really hold up to weather very well, and plywood is a generic term. Any help?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 01:36:50 am »
Plywood has designations for the quality of the surface (A, B, C and D) and the kind of glue (X is exterior).  So 3/4" CDX is one C surface, one D surface and exterior glue.  Unless you can find some Marine plywood, I'd use the CDX as it is commonly available for a decent price.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Solomon Parker

• New Bee
  • Learn by doing.
    • Parker Farms
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 07:06:20 pm »
Thanks for this Robo.  I made ten 3x3's of very similar design.  They are currently deeps, but they are meant to be cut down to mediums eventually as I am switching over.
Solomon Parker
Parker Farms, Fayetteville Arkansas

Offline Keeperwannabe

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 03:21:24 am »
Made some three by three's out of 1/2 inch cdx I had left over from a jobsite, no problems, it has so much internal parts that it withstood the weight well.

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 10:48:55 pm »
What two frames go into each nuc? Both brood, open or capped, one brood and one honey? I'm new, so please tolerate my ignorance.
Thank you!

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:01 pm »
one frame of brood one honey one pollen and if you wish more brood up to you but you dont want to crowd a nuc they will swarm.  Chris

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 12:07:15 am »
Room for only two frames. Capped brood or open? Thanks again.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 09:15:10 am »
Capped,  you want space to free up for the newly mated queen to lay.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 01:45:43 pm »
Dos anyone have the plans for these. I know that link has them but when ever I try and download it just gives me a bunch of charters and not a pdf file

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »
Send a message to Robo.   It did not work for me either.   Something with the site I would guess.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 09:14:01 pm »
Site fixed.  Upgrade gone bad.....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline RobWok

• Brood
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:41 am »
Thanks so much for putting this out there.  I love it.  Instead of plywood, I had some pallets that had boards on top that were 10.5" wide  Was able to use a few of those and built 5 of these.  Instead of the extra pieces that you put inside, I instead cut a 1/4" dado on the inside before I assembled the boxes.  What this means is that it is exactly the same size inside and out as a standard deep.  I'll be affixing basically an inner cover that is flush on one side on the bottom.  My goal was to see if I could build your setup with a standard deep box and just modify it a little.  That way, anyone should be able to order a deep box and cut some rabbets and some holes in it.  I also made the frame rests the 13/16" like you have in your plans.  It should have minimal effect on a normal frame. I always seem to run out of deep hive bodies.  This way, I can have some spares if I need them.

Here's the other plus.  I plan to take out 2 of the sides and just leave the center divider in for the winter - meaning, I can try to overwinter 2 hives that share the same deep box.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to stack them too.  That could get a little tricky.  May still need to put 2 5 frame nucs on top to super them.  Probably just better to make more solid nucs, or order them.

Anyway, thanks for the plans!

Offline scubajohn

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 01:21:12 pm »
Plywood has designations for the quality of the surface (A, B, C and D) and the kind of glue (X is exterior).  So 3/4" CDX is one C surface, one D surface and exterior glue.  Unless you can find some Marine plywood, I'd use the CDX as it is commonly available for a decent price.

I have been buying a cabinet type ply from the depot called china birch I paint it and it has been working great very smooth flat and takes a dado well 3/4 is 32 bucks last time I bought it

Offline rob brinkerhoff

• New Bee
    • Redstone Queen Bees
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »
Great post. Thanks for putting this on here.
my facebook page

Offline davidawbrown

• New Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 08:21:18 am »
Robo your images aren't loading. Any other links to your pics?

Regards Dave

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 11:31:44 pm »
fixed

anything