Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: eucaliptus trees  (Read 4192 times)

Offline mjb1

• New Bee
eucaliptus trees
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:09:44 pm »
Would eucaliptus leaves either burned in the smoker or used some other way have a affect on shb or mites without hurting the bees ? When burned it releases a strong eucaliptus smell

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Re: eucaliptus trees
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:00:29 am »
No idea.

If you decide to try it I'd recommend experimenting on a few bees in a jar first.  If they keel over you know it's probably a bad idea  :bee: :bee: :bee:

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:27:52 pm »
I'm not sure about eucalyptus leaves, but I think I once read something about orange tree leaves- something about the oils in the leaves? I have 2 orange trees in my yard and every once in a while I stuff some green leaves on top in the smoker, if anything it at least cools the smoke down and keeps the smoker from shooting flames when it gets too hot. Keep us updated if you try it, I've got lots of eucs around here too...
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline mjb1

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:27:30 am »
OK folks used the eucalyptus bark and leaves in my smoker it works well for controlling the bees doesn't seem to harm them anymore than other smoker fuels and I wouldn't swear it but I haven't seen any beetles in either of my hives I didn't have a huge infestation but did see a few here and there. It works pretty good as a fuel the bark is always peeling off the trees and they loose leaves regularly. :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:19:52 pm by mjb1 »

anything