Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blackhawk trapout.  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
Blackhawk trapout.
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:46:01 pm »
This is the second nuc full of bees and queen cells I have gotten from this tree and looks like at least one more. I haven't put eggs in this nuc yet because I may use these to build up another hive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIeXInI_dx4#ws

first couple of trips to check on it I kept finding more holes further up. I think we wound up with 5 holes altogether.
Thanks to my son in law Justin for running the camera and Jeremy for letting me get broke in on trapouts in his back yard.
J.P. I'm trying to give you some competition with those legs. Not bad for a 50 year old man huh?
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Blackhawk trapout.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »
Enjoyed the video! Pictures are better than words.

Thanks, Larry

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:56:27 am »
     Good video.  Thanks.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Bee Busters

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:18 pm »
on a trapout like this, does the queen come out too? or does she eventually die inside the hive?

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:54:43 pm »
on a trapout like this, does the queen come out too? or does she eventually die inside the hive?

Typically you wont get the queen, she will later abscond with what remains after the trapout.

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06:38 pm »
I have 2 good hives with queens as a result of that trapout earlier this year. I put fresh eggs in the box with a few nurses at the beginning then when the box got full I swapped it out with a new one, new eggs and nurses.. both times they made a new healthy queen. I know thats lucky but its the way its supposed to work.
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Greenwood Mississippi

Offline Bee Busters

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:46:05 am »
so purchasing a queen cell would be a quick fix in a trapout situation..... right?

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:37:26 am »
unless there is some brood in the box the trapped out bees aren't really going to be interested except for a place to dump pollen or nectar.
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Greenwood Mississippi