Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Colorblind  (Read 4292 times)

Offline 1968 Fastback GT

• New Bee
Bee Colorblind
« on: May 13, 2005, 10:49:04 pm »
Just starting beekeeping about a month ago.  Have 2 hives would like to increase to 4 hives next year.  Hives will be near each other.  Have seen pictures of hives with different color landing boards.  Does this help??  If so what are the best color to paint the landing boards if the bees are color blind???

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 11:09:34 pm »
Bees are not color blinde they just see colors in different perspective than we do. Bees can also see ultra violet rays which also change the flowers appearances. Mostly different colored landingboard would be for the bees to make it easier to remember their hive. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 12:06:21 am »
I get a little bit of teasing for this.... but I painted arrows on two landing boards. I was going for a "geometric shape" idea. :) I have no idea if it helps my bees, or if there is any real scientific studies on this. But I did do it for the basic purpose of directional guidance for the bees.

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 08:04:20 am »
I paint the alighting boards on my hives different colors too.  Does it help?  Hard to tell, but I know it doesn't hurt and it makes it easier for "me" to differentiate the hives. Instead of C1, C2 like John.  Mine are blue, yellow, red, etc....

I know a fellow beekeep that cuts different shapes (circles, squares, etc) out of plastic jugs (ie. orange Tide detergent) and tacks them above the hive entrances.

click image for larger view
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 05:11:36 pm »
I had heard at a beekeepers' meeting that bees don't see red.  Apparently red beekeeper suits in Bermuda are becoing more popular becuase of this.....

But I bet the bees from the red hive don't get lost either.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 09:08:19 pm »
bees have a problem distinguishing reds from blacks and grays. :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 01:14:46 pm »
I've heard that bees are more aggressive to darker colors such as black and gray.  Does that mean that if a beekeeper inspects a colony wearing something red that he may be stung more because the bees percive it as black?

Offline taw

• New Bee
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 10:27:42 pm »
Quote from: Apis629
I've heard that bees are more aggressive to darker colors such as black and gray.  Does that mean that if a beekeeper inspects a colony wearing something red that he may be stung more because the bees percive it as black?

I would suspect that to be true. I suspect red translates to black to them (or some shade of grey). Dunno. I have been meaning to ask that question in our monthly local bee-geek meeting.
<Insert witty signature here>

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Bee Colorblind
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 11:50:26 pm »
I was wearing a red shirt today and c2 was much more aggressive than c1 to it. :D
Ryan Horn