Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Traps on State Gamelands  (Read 2513 times)

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
Swarm Traps on State Gamelands
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:01:40 pm »
Has anyone talked with their state game commission about locating swarm boxes and collecting swarms on state game lands?  Are Honeybees regular property of the state game commision on game lands just as deer, game, etc. are?  I was thinking this past year that I sure would love to have a swarm or two from the bees I'm seeing up on the mountain at the blackberry, raspberry, and huckleberry fields...

Instinct says that it's probably prohibited to hang a swarm box on state gamelands, but was curious to see if anyone had talked with game commission officer about it...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Swarm Traps on State Gamelands
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:23:55 pm »
Nothing to back it up but folklore I have heard all my life. The bees belong to whoever catches them, so if you found a swarm on gameland, you could shake them in a box and take them home.

As for placing the swarm trap, that would have to be done with permission from the authorities. I have heard a number of people say they have been given permission, others say they were denied. I think it just depends on who and how you ask.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:02 pm »
you would also need to check your state laws regarding collection, some states now prohibit collection of swarms due to africanized bee's

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:11:58 pm »
you would also need to check your state laws regarding collection, some states now prohibit collection of swarms due to africanized bee's
Florida, for instance.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:24 pm »
Most folks around here don't know what africanized means let alone how to spell it. Catch them if you can.  Good Luck  Tony

anything