Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Penalties for beekeeping  (Read 11225 times)

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
Penalties for beekeeping
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:54:55 pm »
See the following article "Bees Won't Buzz in Hollidaysburg".
http://wearecentralpa.com/content/fulltext/news?cid=44161

What a poor decision. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Penalties for beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:07:22 pm »
Should have put up a high fence to keep flight path up, chain link the bees can fly right through.

The reporter said some of their bees were "getting loose" Bahahahahaahahahaahahaahahahaahah!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:39:29 pm »
Edited....
Additional information has been forwarded to me. I hope the best for the situation at hand.

PS...I could not respond to the email sent to me. I would like to email back the person who sent me some info, but not sure what your log in name is. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:04:00 pm by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:28:27 am »
I wonder if the ordinance specifies a infestation.I don't think a contrlled environment qualifies as an infestation ant more than a pet hamster or rabbit. These are both of the rodent family.might be a technicality but may buy some time or force definotions in the ordinance to be revisited.At that point he may be grandfathered.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:06:27 am »
Society as a whole has gone bonkers  :roll:

Eventually, we'll regulate ourselves out of existence .

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:04:40 pm »
 Stupid is as Stupid does..............................  That is why I will never live in a town of any kind. Too many rules with stupid people in control of them.
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:18:59 pm »
The statement about the bees getting loose and coming onto their properties just takes the cake.  Imagine that!!!  Some people are just !@#$%^ ignorant.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 02:01:25 pm »
I know how that can be.  My bees got loose once... ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 05:39:09 pm »
I know how that can be.  My bees got loose once... ;)

Mr. Bush, What ever did you do??   :shock:

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 05:50:38 pm »
Should have put up a high fence to keep flight path up, chain link the bees can fly right through.
...JP

Fortunately, that's not his property boundary that you're looking at.  I believe that his extra supers are inside the chain-link fence.

I wonder if the ordinance specifies a infestation.

Yes it does.  Here's an older article:  http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/508408.html  I'm trying to find the Altoona Mirror article that had a copy of the original citation included.  I think we're all more than a little taken back that they can interpret an ordinance such as that to cover beekeeping.  The whole game changes whenever governing bodies decide they can 'bend' ordinances to stretch the areas they cover.

The president of our regional bee association has visited Mr. Nales home, and has been trying to assist Mr. Nales throughout this process, and some members of the state beekeeping association and other officials are trying to help out as well.  Be assured that Mr. Nales has water supply, flight path, and other 'urban beekeeping concerns' addressed with his neighbors' safety in mind.

Our local organization has offered their support, but we need to see what Mr. Nales decided to do - whether or not he decides to appeal further, we should all understand the need for us to stand behind him.  Like some others have said - the outcome of this case will help dictate other towns' stances on urban beekeeping - and that will impact a lot of us around here.

PS - Bjorn - THANK YOU - that was me.
PSS - If you check the article link at the top of this post, it quotes the lady as saying her 'husband' is allergic to bees.  The video says it's the dog.    :roll:  :fishhit:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 08:28:45 pm »
I agree with you mlewis...I cant imagine what it would be like to live in town..The way it works is this.........People move to the country and try to make it like in town....Then,...people move into town and try to turn it into the country!...wierd, huh?

your friend,
john

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:59:27 am »
So it is like making your computer so you can talk on it, and your phone into something to send typed messages...... Weird
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:16:06 am »
So it is like making your computer so you can talk on it, and your phone into something to send typed messages...... Weird

Something like that...LMAO.  As I have said, "you can't fix stupid people".  Bees got loose...lmfao. 

David

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:29:32 am »
 I have to agree with you on that. Funny on how things like that work!

.........People move to the country and try to make it like in town....Then,...people move into town and try to turn it into the country!...wierd, huh?

That is  somewhat the problem with the area that I live in. They buy 3 or 4 acers and become "Country Folk" overnight. Our biggest problem is the city people that move into our area to retire and think that all of the regulations and codes that they had in the city, need to follow them into the country. Things work just fine, here and  we don't need to change.

" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 09:16:05 am »
I live in a rural area with folks behind and next to me. The owners wife behind me is a raving lunatic and has INSISTED I move those nasty critters! Well, my hives are now across the road. Does that stop them from visiting..ahhhh  NO.

The good news is they now help the local farmers FOR FREE POLLENATION! I've set all my empty woodware away from her view and will attempt to "control" them...ROFLMAO!

My other neighbor has adjusted well, 1 girl stung him the other day and he laughed with me about it. People, city or otherwise need to be educated, it's THAT SIMPLE! Most alergies are to insects OTHER than Honeybees. I try to teach everyone I come in contact with that.

One event this summer really made me smile. An AC repairman, about 60years old was checking my outside unit, just as a new swarm took off. He looked at it...walked right thru the mass of girls with me and never batted an eye. Did he get hit,,,nope. His only comment was...cool you keep Bees???

Stuff like that gives me hope.

Keep on Keeping folks!!!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 02:23:32 pm »
...JP

Fortunately, that's not his property boundary that you're looking at.  I believe that his extra supers are inside the chain-link fence.

I wonder if the ordinance specifies a infestation.

Yes it does.  Here's an older article:  http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/508408.html  I'm trying to find the Altoona Mirror article that had a copy of the original citation included.  I think we're all more than a little taken back that they can interpret an ordinance such as that to cover beekeeping.  The whole game changes whenever governing bodies decide they can 'bend' ordinances to stretch the areas they cover.

The president of our regional bee association has visited Mr. Nales home, and has been trying to assist Mr. Nales throughout this process, and some members of the state beekeeping association and other officials are trying to help out as well.  Be assured that Mr. Nales has water supply, flight path, and other 'urban beekeeping concerns' addressed with his neighbors' safety in mind.

Our local organization has offered their support, but we need to see what Mr. Nales decided to do - whether or not he decides to appeal further, we should all understand the need for us to stand behind him.  Like some others have said - the outcome of this case will help dictate other towns' stances on urban beekeeping - and that will impact a lot of us around here.

PS - Bjorn - THANK YOU - that was me.
PSS - If you check the article link at the top of this post, it quotes the lady as saying her 'husband' is allergic to bees.  The video says it's the dog.    :roll:  :fishhit:

You would think they would have an ordinance against this aswell  to think you could marry a dog:-D

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 03:32:39 pm »
Well....Dont really know where to begin. I agree with Buzzbee, what is the defenition of infestation? The beek should have looked into the local laws before starting the hives also. How can the neighbor say it was their bees that stung the dog? So many questions with no real answers. Im sure there was a rival between the neighbors before the bee thing.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 04:44:32 pm »
You would think they would have an ordinance against this aswell  to think you could marry a dog:-D

...and to think, I thought this only happened in Danville.  How about that.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 04:56:58 pm »
I wonder how many stings that poor woman's dog would have gotten had they been keeping empty beehives in their yard?

Those nasty bright yellow striped pointy butted honeybees that build their little paper nests all over the place under the decks and eaves!!!  They obviously got loose!  Oh wait, she obviously saw the little name tags......

:roll:
Rick

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 05:34:17 pm »
...The beek should have looked into the local laws before starting the hives also...

Fortunately he did.  The article also says "Nale also argued that former Hollidaysburg Borough Manager, Diane Meling, gave him permission to raise the bees in his yard. "

Apparently the new borough manager isn't willing to stand by the decision that the former manager made while in office.   :(