Welcome, Guest

Poll

what  size of nuc is more popular

deep
15 (62.5%)
medium
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: nucs size  (Read 6448 times)

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
nucs size
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:56:21 pm »
I want to see which size of nuc is the most popular. I know some beekeeper  are going to all medium hive.  While other beekeeper are using deep hive.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: nucs size
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:03:15 pm »
You mean frame size in nucs? It depends on the purpose of the nuc --- alot of folks design baby nucs just for mating queens.

I think by far the deep frames are most popular. Just because it was the traditional equipment that most seem to have in their area.I believe the medium is gaining popularity because of the ability to interchange all equipment for all uses.

Are the nucs for your use or do you plan on selling nucs----if selling what is the most popular frame size in your area.

Then there is number of frames in nuc --- most popular I believe is four or five but again many different arrangements available.
John 3:16

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 05:11:13 pm »
Yes,  sc-bee I was taking about the frame size.
I am going to build my own equipment

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 06:39:12 pm »
I like the 5 frame plans here!!! And it's a nice website.

http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/beekeeping_plans.phtml
John 3:16

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:10:17 pm »
 You will find more 5 frame deeps nucs for sell not 5 frame medium's nucs. One 8 frame medium box is the same size is a 5 frame deep nuc. I use two 5 frame medium boxs for mine nucs.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:09:41 pm »
I just built a 5 frame nuc for mediums.  I figure if they can fill five large frames up, then they should be in a full size hive and I like the idea of going to all mediums too.  The med. nuc is nice and light.  I could carry it full of bees and honey very easily.  I put a screen bottom in and cut a hole near the top on one side.  All I have to do is put a cork in to stop it up!!   I have nothing to put in the nuc, but everyone says to keep one handy, so there it is!!  I used beesource, but really just did it my own way.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 02:01:57 am »
Try this http://www.beesource.com/plans/nuc.htm  or this http://www.beesource.com/plans/usda_nuc.ht.  both are good plans
I have made them and they are cool -but the way i do it now is so much easier -take a box medium or deep -dosent matter and cut it in half and attach side board and you have serviceable five frame nuc -a child could do it-no dadeo blade to buy  8-) RDY-B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:16:49 am »
I just built a 5 frame nuc for mediums.  I figure if they can fill five large frames up, then they should be in a full size hive and I like the idea of going to all mediums too.  The med. nuc is nice and light.  I could carry it full of bees and honey very easily.  I put a screen bottom in and cut a hole near the top on one side.  All I have to do is put a cork in to stop it up!!   I have nothing to put in the nuc, but everyone says to keep one handy, so there it is!!  I used beesource, but really just did it my own way.

That's what I use, but recommend taking a 2nd medium nuc box when catching swarms, all too often a large swarm won't fit into just one medium nuc box.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:34:46 am »
       I do the same as on all swarm call take 3 or 4 medium 5 frames nuc boxs can hope for big can I
About 20% are 3 boxs 50% are 2 boxs 30% are 1 box and in a while it 4 boxs

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 11:03:16 am »
I was thinking about reduceing the width down abit making them 4 deep frame nuc's so 2 will fit over a 10 frame and try overwintering 2 small colinies screened over a healthy hive. Does this make any since to anyone

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 12:37:13 pm »
I actually have both, I think Brian mentioned if a swarm is bigger than just one deep you can add a medium 5-frame box.  This year I did splits in five frame deep nucs, but added two frames of honey with empty drawn comb remaining frames in a medium box above.  It is a little awkward using two sizes sometimes but it worked out well for me.

David 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:12:51 pm »
I suppose you mean for selling as a nuc in the spring to start a hive with?  I sell some of both.  I sell more mediums than deeps but I have more mediums than deeps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:53 am »
Purhaps I can slay the topic all together?

Why not build a medium nuc, but also a 'ring' that makes up the height distance between mediums and deeps?

And then you can BOTH? without the overhead of each type alone!

You can afix it with hive staples or water pipe strap or whatever else creative you want.
In fact, duct tape should get you by season to season.

There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 04:46:36 pm »
That is what I did this year.  I am slowly moving toward all mediums, so I cut down hive boxes and nucs and then reassemble both sections.  If I need to switch back to a deep in a pinch, I just staple the extra three inches back on.

The three inch portions are also just the right size for winter dry sugar feeding.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 10:50:56 pm »
Purhaps I can slay the topic all together?

Why not build a medium nuc, but also a 'ring' that makes up the height distance between mediums and deeps?

And then you can BOTH? without the overhead of each type alone!

You can afix it with hive staples or water pipe strap or whatever else creative you want.
In fact, duct tape should get you by season to season.

I've put a 5 frame nuc box over an 8 frame hive.  Bushy Mountain sells a spacer shim that is cut out in the center for just that purpose.  I made mine to fit 8 frame instead of the 10.   Looks a little weird having a nuc box on top of an super but you can over winter with it.  The bees actually cluster in the nuc and pull honey from the stores in the brood box...easier for them to maintain temps etc.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 03:02:05 am »
just like the 8 frame equipment it will be a matter of time when most suppliers will carry and sale 5 frame medium nuc's, just thing a nuc will sale for the same price and it doesn't take as many bee's to fill a medium nuc like it does a deep nuc ;) , I might be on some there  :-D :evil: , I might sale medium nuc's one day but they will cost the same as deeps, because making me use my honey frames for nuc's  :-P
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything