Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeybees dangerous to livestock?  (Read 12449 times)

Offline Barngodess

• New Bee
  • Labradors RULE
Re: Honeybees dangerous to livestock?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 08:35:27 pm »
My hive is fenced out of the pasture, but it is right next to the pasture. It is on a slight hill, so that the bees can fly out of the entrance straight ahead if they like, and their flight path is just above the horses. My horses have about 5 acres to graze on , but they can be found right next to the hive grazing and the bees never seem to bother them at all.

Melissa
 ;)
Never say never......

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:47 pm »
Melissa, you painted a very pretty picture in my mind's eye of your horses and bees, thank you.  I love horses, I miss not keeping horses on my property anymore.  But when my girls grew up, we kept their horses for many years, but too much work for so little pleasure.  I had a beauty of a grey Arab that was mine, but she became very lame because of foundering issues.  I ended up giving her to a woman who wanted a nice little horse to use for lessons for children.  She was willing to work with my Arab and "fix" her hooves, she was a farrier and could spend the time and effort.  It was a sad day for me when I had to give up trying to fix her feet, but it was just getting too costly with all the corrective shoeing that was required.  This Arab always had issues with founder, colic, don't know why, but she just wasn't the healthiest of mares I guess.  Oh well, gone off topic, but I can carry on.  Have a wonderful day, love our beautiful life we live in.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 10:17:48 pm »
Most horse owners who complain about bees bothering their horses don't know what a horsefly looks like.  A drone and a horsefly look a lot alike.  Those are the ones who have usually come to being horse owners at a later age, not raised on a farm.  some such owners I've met have never even heard of a horsefly let alone know it is colored very similar to a honeybee.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 11:19:23 pm »
Melissa, you painted a very pretty picture in my mind's eye of your horses and bees, thank you.  I love horses, I miss not keeping horses on my property anymore.  But when my girls grew up, we kept their horses for many years, but too much work for so little pleasure.  I had a beauty of a grey Arab that was mine, but she became very lame because of foundering issues.  I ended up giving her to a woman who wanted a nice little horse to use for lessons for children.  She was willing to work with my Arab and "fix" her hooves, she was a farrier and could spend the time and effort.  It was a sad day for me when I had to give up trying to fix her feet, but it was just getting too costly with all the corrective shoeing that was required.  This Arab always had issues with founder, colic, don't know why, but she just wasn't the healthiest of mares I guess.  Oh well, gone off topic, but I can carry on.  Have a wonderful day, love our beautiful life we live in.  Cindi
            CINDI           There is a # of reasons why she was colicing. #1 Might of been the feed that you was giveing her. #2 Her insides might of been a little dry and she can not get all the feed down. I have a old horse and he did the same thing well theres a lady I help that was race horses. Well she told me to give him so corn oil ever time I feed him. After that no more problems. It was just his valves was dry. And we had to change the feed. We give him a sr horse feed lol. My friend had a problem with a horse eating to fast and colicing. So the vet had to come out and push the feed out of his throt. After that he can only eat mesh feed.  Any ways you have a good week. And bee good

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 11:52:24 pm »
Beginner, you are probably correct, what you say makes sense.  it has been 5 years or so since I gave my Arab mare to that wonderful woman who I knew would look after her really well.  I will keep your information stored in my head in case we ever get horses again, and we have colic issues.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 07:42:26 pm »
Beginner, you are probably correct, what you say makes sense.  it has been 5 years or so since I gave my Arab mare to that wonderful woman who I knew would look after her really well.  I will keep your information stored in my head in case we ever get horses again, and we have colic issues.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi

Hey Cindi hear is the link to the lady I help that has racehorses. She has not updeated her site in a long time but some of the horses on there ar stiil at home.   http://www.sunnylandarabians.com/ and there arabians!!!!!!   I just took a look at the site and she has done some stuff to it.  If you look you will find a horse named JOLLY ROGER  He is the big bad race horse. And for a male horse he is really nice. Most of the horses she still has.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:46 am »
Beginner, that is a cool site, thanks for the link.  Have a great day, wonderful life.  Cindi