Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new colony (queen cells) supersedure cell ?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
new colony (queen cells) supersedure cell ?
« on: October 26, 2020, 03:57:48 am »
Hi All

I've got a new colony I captured from a swarm about 3 weeks ago.
It now has about 5 frames of brood/necture
But it also has two new queen cells.

I could not find the queen (but did find some eggs).

Is it likely that a new colony will try to throw a reproductive swarm ?
Or is it most likely I'm looking at supersedure cell ?

Cheers

Damien

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: new colony (queen cells) supersedure cell ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:51:08 am »
Most hives swarm with the old queen, then replace her after getting established.  Supercedure
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:53:37 am »
Last wednesday when i inspected the hive and put on the second super i found what i believe was two supercedure cells ,from what i have read it is best to destroy them apparently the bees will use the royal jelly for other things or so a guy on youtube says who is a beekeeper in tennasee U.S

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:40:28 am »
That beek isn't too smart. If it is supercedure, the bees know the queen is failing. Destroying the cells will leave you with a queenless hive and soon, a dead hive.
If swarm cells, they will swarm anyway, also leaving you with the above.

When queen cells are found, splits should be made, or nothing done. Any destroying of cells will most likely result in destroying the hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:15:20 pm »
Most hives swarm with the old queen, then replace her after getting established.  Supercedure

Damien.  For your caught swarm It is this ,
Perfect and natural.  Do nothing.  You need only get a line on where you can buy a queen, as contingency for if the SC fails. 
All good. Make sure they have enough space to expand over the next 4 weeks.  Other than that try to leave them alone (stay out) for 3 weeks from the date that you observe those queen cells are capped

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:54:35 pm »
Hi iddee the beek you talk about is camon reynolds from tennasee bees on you tube , now i dont know this guy personally but he seems to have a number of bee yards and a lot of hives . my bees were going bonkas yesterday we had some warm sun in the arvo ill be checking on them on wednesday to se if my movement of frames is a good idea or not

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 08:55:25 pm »
I don't know him, so nothing personal, but you should never destroy all queen cells. Once they are made, the old queen will be gone 99% of the time. If you remove the cells, you should place some of them in a place to emerge and mate in case they are needed later, as a very least measure.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 03:00:58 pm »
We both, and all, need to be mindful of advice of: 
destroy all queen cells VS leave all queen cells.
The situation, the condition, the history, the season, all of those details of the colony at the time that QCs are found must come into consideration for the beekeeper to make the correct decision.
- Sometimes the advice for destroying cells is correct.
- Most times the advice to leave cells is correct.
- blanket advice to always leave cells is never correct
- blanket to always destroy cells is never correct

In this case, the OP did an exemplary job of describing the conditions, and history, of the colony.  Therefore Iddee was able to give the correct advice.   
In a different situation, different colony history, the advice may be different. As is often encountered when talking bees - It depends ....   

Imho.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything