BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

What happens to reliquified creamed honey?

(1/2) > >>

mtnb:
I was just wondering...say you make creamed honey but for some reason it got overheated and reliquified. After time, I'm assuming, it'll crystallize again but will it turn back into the consistency of creamed honey? I know. Stupid question. I'm guessing not? Since I've controlled the size of the crystals, will it just crystallize very finely and have a harder texture and not be more creamy like? Am I making any sense? lol

Michael Bush:
Not necessarily.  If it melts completely the crystals have been dissolved.  Also, if there is liquid to crystallize, it may grow on existing crystals which may make the crystals larger which will make the texture grittier.  It may crystallize small because of other factors like sugar content (proportions of sucrose/dextrose/fructose) or other factors like the temperature of the honey.  Ideally you would keep it 57? F (14? C) to get it to crystallize quickly which contributes to it crystallizing with fine (small) crystals.

Acebird:
If it were made by the approved process it would have to be remade by the same process.

mtnb:
So crystallization at higher temperature causes larger crystals. I didn't know that. Thanks for your reply Mr. Bush. That was helpful.
Thanks Ace for confirming what I thought.
I think I'll just test it with some creamed honey I have and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: MT Bee Girl on September 20, 2017, 07:36:11 pm ---So crystallization at higher temperature causes larger crystals.

--- End quote ---

Not exactly.  It is a temperature range.  Mike said 57 degrees I thought it was 47 degrees closer to a refrigerator range.  If you go lower or higher crystallization slows down.  The process of creamed honey uses seed crystals that are much finer than what would result if you let it crystallize on its own.  That is basically the only difference.  I bottle honey and put it in the refrigerator.  It becomes solid and white like ice cream and I sell it as raw creamed honey.  If you take it out of the fridge it will start to reliquify and become dark again in the summer time.

Edit:  I see that Mike is right on the 57 degrees, go figure. :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version