Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do You Own a Smart Phone - how about an Ipod Touch???  (Read 10934 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Do You Own a Smart Phone - how about an Ipod Touch???
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:29 am »
Kathy:

speaking of Speech, you know I enjoy both text to speech and speech to text, but I got this app called ISPEECH TTS which has the most human female voice I have ever heard - hands down. It has true inflection in sentences and everything she reads sounds like a talented audiobook reader, the is nothing mechanical about her voice.

It has many other voices, but no samples on the IPOD and it is limited in how much you can paste into the app for her to read, but I'm gonna check out and see if their website gives greater detail and has an upgrade app that will let you paste large amounts of text. I am... actually stunned at the quality.

I needs wifi to work, so I assume the voice is AT a server somewhere and you then stream it - I don't though believe it is like a compiled library of spoken words tossed together on the fly, I do think it is 100% digital speech.

But it is the latest of any of the text to voices I have heard and they have come leaps above anything I thought was very good before.

UPDATE I just went to their we site and the voice sound like crap - I swear the voice in the Ipod is amazing. Not sure what it sounds like any other T2S gen on their site - ugh

My GPS has many voices, many REAL voices, you can upload yourself or your kids or whoever after recording them saying the 61 likes that it speaks. So it can really be personalized and takes about an hour to do. But I can see people with grand kids telling them directions, and of course you can fudge the sentences like "Grandma... you were supposed to turn back there, now you need to turn around" and so on.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline GWDawg1

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 08:27:54 am »
My wife and I have iPhones, and I have an iPad2.  Use the iPad2 for work and we are developed through a third party and application for insect trapping using the barcode capability and GPS in the iPad2.  My favorite apps are GPS, USA Today, and Weather.  I have WeatherAlert on my iPhone and it works just like a weather radio.  Living in the South I need some type of severe weather alert.

Great products, a little pricey, but worth it to me.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 11:51:46 am »
On the price issue, I can see it from a few views. If you consider the 8Gig unit at $164 coinciding it has wifi, bluetooth and do file transfer and storage, use every app the iphone and ipods use (with few exceptions) works as a phone and Video photo with Skype and dozens of other apps, has full multi-video conferencing using Oovoo and others, streams hundreds of thousands of radio and music genre stations and talk, news media. Lets you watch HBO and other pay premium channels anywhere and has endless numbers of off-line and online multiplayer games of every type, it connects to the HDTV using HDMI adapter devices to use it as a movie playing super device, and you can stream live video content to nearly any site, or upload direct to Youtube and Twitter as well as using tappa-talk for PERFECT FORUM INTERFACE - it is a GREAT BARGAIN.

The issue of price comes in when you add a hundred dollars EACH time you double the memory aboard which is not expandable using memory cards. going from 8 to 16 adds a hundred, going from 16 to 32 and going from 32 to 64 adds another hundred. I knew and was glad I went 64Gig of space for $365 and YES PRICEY but after 3 months and downloading apps every day, sometimes dozens to try out since they were marked down to free (download the Apps Fire) app to get the best deals on every discounted apps, sometimes over a hundred a day - and if they suck, just delete them.

I'm loaded with videos, photos, music and over 200 apps and STILL have over 32Gigs free in mine. Paying for that extra storage space is peace of mind to me and made it worth it.

Buzzbee just bought 2 8giggers and thinks they are awesome. I know you can get others (not knock-off) just others mostly the Droid family but you'll never get the catalog of apps the Ipod,phone and pads give you. I think some of what you pay for is the world you can access with it.

I stand by this, IF YOU DO NOT OWN A COMPUTER, you could easily live with just this ans to have the world at your fingers, fitting in your pocket and user friendly - thank I'd take an Ipod over a small laptop any day just for shear convenience - I see some of the slightly larges mini tablets and wouldn't want one cause it wouldn't fit in my pocket. And Tablet are (to me) cool looking but I wouldn't want to carry it or hold it to use it and if I need to connect it to its stand to use it, it just left the world of portable devices to me.

Just brainstorming, everyone has a favorite and paying more for an Apple seems like paying for brand-name but I think you are paying more from "Better bang for your buck" in the long run.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 09:14:07 pm »
I like a couple different internet radio apps. Some channels rival satellite on commercial free.And the Craigs list app is good for a junky who now has a chance to access at midday.
 I am still exploring and have a bit of app overload,but some of the bar code scanners are cool with the info you can find.There are a lot ofapps needing exploring,but it's great that there is so many developers for these.
 I have used the Imessage video on the ipod a couple times and that is really cool.I may have to hook up with others that have the ipods and iphones with this feature.

Offline syphon1

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 10:05:26 pm »
I have an iphone 3gs (jailbroken and unlocked).  Found an interesting app a while ago.  It's called beetight.  Costs $15 per year to manage your hives.  I think i'll give it a try.  I have angry birds on my phone, which my kids play alot more than i do.  I've had my iphone for about 8 months and i find ever since i got it, i hardly ever use my pc to surf the web anymore.