Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A question about fruit trees  (Read 5052 times)

Offline hive101

• New Bee
    • Hive 101
A question about fruit trees
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »
My wife and I just ordered some fruit tree saplings that'll be delivered in a few weeks.  Four in total--apple, pear, cherry and peach, all self-pollinating. 

My question is: how far apart should we plant these trees?  Ideally, I'd like them all in my backyard, which is fenced in.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Martin @ Hive101.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: a question about fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:01:02 pm »
Im ordering 30 fruit trees but they are not self pollinating. Here is a link to the nursery where I am buying from and what they suggest on palnting.

http://www.acnursery.com/acn_planting.php

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »
we have a fruit orchard.  you want to have a good idea of what the  mature size of the tree will be.  many varieties sold now are compact, dwarf, miniature, etc.  once you know that, plant them far enough apart so that the tree branches will not overlap. you also want to have easy access to clean up underneath, mow, etc.  size can be controlled by pruning, but you still need to give the trees plenty of room to branch out.  i have 8 to 10 feet between most of my trees.  there are a few dwarfs that are probably closer.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:52:47 pm »
Are they full size or dwarf?  Figure how big you think they will be and plant them so they won't be touching.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hive101

• New Bee
    • Hive 101
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:10:31 am »
Thanks for the replies thus-far.

The smallest is a compact stella cherry, which should be about 10-12' tall, according to the nursery.  The others seem to be about 16-18' tall.  I have no idea what that'll equate to width-wise.  :?

We live in a suburban subdivision, so our backyard is roughly 60' wide from fence to fence.  I was hoping to just evenly space them out across the far end of the backyard, but if I need to keep 10-15' between them, I'll only have room for 3 there (since I can't plant them on the edge of the fence, obviously).

I'm thinking maybe the stella cherry can go in the front yard.  The front yard gets a lot more sun, though... much more than the backyard.  They're both what I would call "full sun", but our home faces south so the front yard gets the extreme mid-day temps, which in TN is about 98-ish degrees.

Thoughts?
Martin @ Hive101.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:12:50 am »
you can put them closer together.  they will just be harder to manage, but a lot can be done with trimming.  10 to 12 feet tall is not very tall. those can probably go closer together.  the 18' might need a little more room.

if you have to put them closer together, just keep the branches trimmed so that they don't jam together and make sure you can clean up underneath. remember that roots will spread approximately the width of tree, untrimmed.  estimate somewhere around 1/2 the mature hight, or a little more.  depends on the type of tree.  apple sometimes are as big around as they are tall. you don't want your roots eventually growing into your septic tank if you can help it.  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:38:58 am »
cherry need the least room usually. Pears are also compact.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:24:58 pm »
Figure spread as 2/3-3/4 the height.  Therefore a 20 foot mature tree would have a 13-16 foot spread. Such a spread would place the planting 20 feet apart.  Height is a good way to guage planting distance.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline hive101

• New Bee
    • Hive 101
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:03:43 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks for all the replies, everyone.  We did some measuring yesterday and decided on putting the apple, pear and peach trees in the backyard, and the cherry tree in the front yard.

We're on sewer, so the septic tank isn't an issue (although it's a good tip).  I just need to make sure the roots for the cherry won't grow into the phone and cable lines that are run from the road to our home.
Martin @ Hive101.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »
My question is: how far apart should we plant these trees?  Ideally, I'd like them all in my backyard, which is fenced in.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

How big is your hammock?

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com