Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Life of the Outlaw  (Read 14827 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
The Life of the Outlaw
« on: June 04, 2019, 03:09:19 pm »
Short old Marty Robbins tune.
https://youtu.be/7mrI2xtkEMA
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: The Life of the Outlaw
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:59:53 pm »
I may be a millennial, but I LOVE Marty Robbins.  I got into old cowboy music this past Christmas after my sister and I started watching Gunsmoke.  There was this one day that nothing was on TV, and so we turned it on, and we got completely sucked into it.  It's a fantastic show!  High quality, great acting, great stories. 

Marty Robbins sounds like a pretty Republican fellow as well. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxYwWg7F8I

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 01:28:51 am »
Great songs - both of them. I love Marty Robbins.

15member - that's the 1st time I've heard that song - great post. I hadn't realized Marty did a song like that. Thanks for sharing.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 12:40:08 pm »
Great songs - both of them. I love Marty Robbins.

15member - that's the 1st time I've heard that song - great post. I hadn't realized Marty did a song like that. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.  :smile:  The song was written and recorded in 1966, but the studio refused to release it then because it was too politically charged.  It was finally released in 1995 in a box set collection. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 12:59:13 am »
This old fellow had some good songs.  :grin:

PS I like Gunsmoke also! Doc, Festus, and the gang. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:49:00 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 01:51:41 pm »

Festus is my favorite.  I like how he tries to make out like he's all tough and nasty, but he's secretly nice.  Marshall Dillon is great too.  Did you know that James Arness was 6' 6"!  Almost all the other actors on the show are wearing lifts either from self-esteem issues or because the height difference was so great between them and Arness that without lifts they couldn't fit both actors in the frame.  Arness was also a purple heart and bronze star recipient in WWII.             

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 02:48:49 pm »

Festus is my favorite.  I like how he tries to make out like he's all tough and nasty, but he's secretly nice.  Marshall Dillon is great too.  Did you know that James Arness was 6' 6"!  Almost all the other actors on the show are wearing lifts either from self-esteem issues or because the height difference was so great between them and Arness that without lifts they couldn't fit both actors in the frame.  Arness was also a purple heart and bronze star recipient in WWII.             

Yeah Festus was my favorite also. He and Doc were always into it yet they cared for each other. But would not admit it for the world! Kinda reminds me of Iddee, Ace, and Cider. Haa haa 😊.  Ms Kitty was a smart, intelligent, woman who knew her way around with the nature of humans. She could read trouble as soon as it walked through the swinging doors. James Arness played  the good part as Matt Dillon the law man. He rarely showed emotion, his  character went strictly by the law, and strictly enforced the law when necessary. He never spoke of personal family so the entire dodge city was his family. He  kept the peace when talk would work. Or the gun if absolutely necessary. . A friend to law abiders.  And a dreaded enemy of crooks.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 10:40:16 pm »
My favorite Marty Robbins story is when he he was illegal at Daytona during practice just to be able to pass his friend Richard Petty on the track.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 12:31:11 am »
My favorite Marty Robbins story is when he he was illegal at Daytona during practice just to be able to pass his friend Richard Petty on the track.

Thats funny rast, I wonder what Richard thought when Marty flew by Him!! ??   Probably, Man this can not be happening!
Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 01:51:17 am »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
https://youtu.be/dwUnXepURzI
Ooh, good one.  Spoiler alert: This song reminds me of the movie Book of Eli.   

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 09:28:32 pm »
Everyone has probably heard these songs, at very least the first one, as they are some of Marty Robbins's more popular works, but I thought I'd post them all together.  The first tells the basic version of the story, from the first person perspective of the cowboy involved.  The second tells the story in third person, but from the point of view of the "Mexican maiden".  The third song is sort of the author's perspective on the songs and the story and what it meant to him personally.  Each song in the El Paso trilogy is good by itself, but I love the interaction of the songs with each other, being able to hear the story from the different points of view. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVVS5-9HvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuAMtMjDOow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqT6rI1Rm08

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 12:31:36 am »
Member - thanks for sharing those songs. I was very familiar with Marty's "El Paso". I really enjoy old music ... but I had never heard of the other 2 - very nice! It took me a few days to have time to listen to each  one, but they were totally worth it. Thanks!!

How amazing the talent was during that era ... !
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 12:26:25 pm »
Member - thanks for sharing those songs. I was very familiar with Marty's "El Paso". I really enjoy old music ... but I had never heard of the other 2 - very nice! It took me a few days to have time to listen to each  one, but they were totally worth it. Thanks!!

How amazing the talent was during that era ... !

You're welcome, Alan.  I'm glad you liked them.  I only started listening to music from the 60's recently, and I too am amazed at the talent of this time period.  There are many singers today who are popular who don't really have that good of voices and don't have any songwriting talent.  Back then, it seems like more people who were musicians were really truly gifted.  Although, perhaps it's just the fact the only the really good singers and bands are still remembered today, and all the ones who weren't very good have just been lost to time. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 01:51:34 am »
Marty Robbins was truly gifted, and possessed the art of transferring this gift to pen and paper. His imagination was out of the roof, and had the talent to put it to music. One of his sons is a Minister and also has a good voice.  I have heard him sing and really like his style. There are many of Martys songs that I like but the most powerful, in my opinion, is the one that I posted in post 1. I suppose the reason that I choose it is because he gives God Glory in it. 
Hum I had better be careful or I may start sounding like a music critic  :shocked:
Member, all three of the songs that you posted, just perviously, would make a great theme for an outstanding western, if we were hooked up with the right people.
Phillip 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »
Marty Robbins was truly gifted, and possessed the art of transferring this gift to pen and paper. His imagination was out of the roof, and had the talent to put it to music. One of his sons is a Minister and also has a good voice.  I have heard him sing and really like his style. There are many of Martys songs that I like but the most powerful, in my opinion, is the one that I posted in post 1. I suppose the reason that I choose it is because he gives God Glory in it. 
Hum I had better be careful or I may start sounding like a music critic  :shocked:
Member, all three of the songs that you posted, just perviously, would make a great theme for an outstanding western, if we were hooked up with the right people.
Phillip 
Yeah, absolutely.  I particularly like how "Feleena" reinvents the story.  We find out that the original "El Paso" sort of has a compromised narrator.  The cowboy in "El Paso" says "Blacker than night were the eyes of Feleena, wicked and evil while casting a spell."  He blames Feleena for what happened to him, although he still loves her.  After the gunfight he runs, but only one verse later, he decides to come back because "[his] love is stronger than [his] fear of death."  His reasoning is "maybe tomorrow a bullet may find me, tonight nothing's worse than this pain in my heart."  So he's a hothead; he's running on short term emotions and living without considering the consequences, and this is the kind of thinking that leads him to blame Feleena.  But in "Feleena" the narrator is 3rd person, and therefore more trustworthy, and we get to see her side of the story, and I think that is really fair to her as character, because if we didn't have her song, all we'd know is what the cowboy thought about what happened, and not what really happened.  As a writer, I find that whole concept really interesting, that Marty chose to tell the same story in different ways and to examine it from multiple angles. 

How's that for being a critic?  :wink:  :cheesy:           

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 01:09:09 pm »
My favourite is big iron
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 06:48:43 pm »
My favourite is big iron

Ooh, that's a good one too.  I also like Johnny Cash's cover of that song. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9-LYLnu4I

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 09:40:44 pm »
My favourite is big iron

Ooh, that's a good one too.  I also like Johnny Cash's cover of that song. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9-LYLnu4I

Yep HP. That was a good one alright.
Member, the song is so descriptive and so clear about drawing a mental picture of the events involved in the story that even I might sound good singing it. Haa haa.  :wink: J/K   I like Marties version better.

Have any of you heard Merle Haggard singing Marths songs? They were good friends. Merl named one of his sons Marty Haggard  I will try and find one and post it here for you.
Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 09:56:15 pm »

anything