Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Permethrin drench for SHB  (Read 1377 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
Permethrin drench for SHB
« on: April 28, 2022, 04:58:01 pm »
Has anyone ever done this around your hives?  I had SHB problems even through the winter this year.  Last week one of my small Nucs got slimed.  First time I?ve had that happen?pretty nasty.  Anyhow, the remainder hives I have are strong production hives and strong up and coming hives.  Really would like to knock the SHB back.  I?ve never had any luck with traps and swiffer towels.  Figured if I go ahead with it, I?d use a watering can and drench the ground around the hives with it.
@burleybeeyard

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Permethrin drench for SHB
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 11:00:27 pm »
I use vegetable oil, canola or corn oil I?m my traps. It works way better than mineral oil. I haven?t had it go rancid as people say. I may keep a gallon of oil in my kitchen for a year and use it. In has never gone rancid in the kitchen or the hive.
I think with mineral oil you only catch the bees that get chased into them. With cooking oil, they are attracted to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Re: Permethrin drench for SHB
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 11:56:34 pm »
It works great to break the life cycle of SHB's. I use a watering can and treat around the back and sides of the hives during a rainy day to help wash the ground drench into the soil. I only treat two times a year but if you have moved a slimed hive then there is a good chance you will have SHB larva where you moved the dead hive to so treat that area also.
  If you have fire ants a diluted drench works on them. I rinse out the watering can and use it on the fire ant mounds with a couple drops of dish washing soap added in.
  If there are lot of SHB's in your hives take a screened bottom board and lay it across a container filled with an inch or so of soapy water. Pull the two outside frames, #1 and #10 where most of the beetles have been herded to and smack them on the screening. The beetles will fall through and drown while any bees on the frames will bounce off and fly away.
  Haven't found an easy way to clean up frames that have been slimed. Hosing them off seems to work but is slow and then the frames are loaded with water and need to be shook and dried.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 11:57:07 pm »
Has anyone ever done this around your hives?  I had SHB problems even through the winter this year.  Last week one of my small Nucs got slimed.  First time I?ve had that happen?pretty nasty.  Anyhow, the remainder hives I have are strong production hives and strong up and coming hives.  Really would like to knock the SHB back.  I?ve never had any luck with traps and swiffer towels.  Figured if I go ahead with it, I?d use a watering can and drench the ground around the hives with it.

Burley I had a 'hard earned' cut out hive die to slimming of SHB my first year. I was 'sick' and 'mad' as a result. I bought the stuff but never used it. I did as Paus and Beemaster 2 suggested, using oil pans beneath a screened bottom board (#8 hardware cloth) I did it a little different; I used mothers vinegar for a base and a little oil skim on top. I worked 'VERY' well. Thanks to Paus and Jim, I killed uncountable amounts of SHB. After a good period of time using this technique, it finally got to the point that it was a chore to find more than a few SHB.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 07:03:51 am »
I will stand corrected, but some times the SHB infestation are not yours, they will fly in from where ever and pick a weaker hive.
One of our worst infestations occurred when there had never been bees in this spot. Only lost 2/100 but put out alot of Beetle Jails.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 07:13:53 am »
You are correct OldBeavo. So really we have to face the fact of killing beetles which are in range of our hives. When I had the problem I searched for information and found they will fly for MILES. But one thing is for sure. Once they slime a hive they will burrow in the ground and emerge as home grown SHB. 😊

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 07:16:56 am »
Another thing. I took shovel in hand. I can?t remember just how deep I found them but they had burrowed inches deeper than I had expected, which was deeper than I had read from research papers.

Phillip

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 07:42:30 am »
Thanks y?all!
@burleybeeyard

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 09:19:40 am »
Save some of the goo from a slimeout, freeze it and put about a TBS in the oil pan.   I use a small cup like dressing is served in a restaurant in the oil pan, as bait. it seems to draw the SHB.  I think it will work in every 5 or maybe 10 hives if they are fairly close together/ I haven't tried it like that because I only have a few hives now and I can use the oil pan on all the hives.  The last time I worked more than a hive or two, I only saw 4 SHB in the first six hives.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 05:26:50 am »
Beetle Jails are a good monitor for SHB's and will catch them if they hive is invaded.
Need to change baits every 2 or 3 weeks, not as messy as other  systems. Also fi into  migratory bee keeping systems

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 10:21:56 am »
I use nematodes sold specifically for small hive beetle larvae.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 06:21:25 pm »
I use nematodes sold specifically for small hive beetle larvae.

I did that with good results - one of the "natural" remedies that worked for me.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2024, 07:37:41 am »
Beetle Jails are a good monitor for SHB's and will catch them if they hive is invaded.
Need to change baits every 2 or 3 weeks, not as messy as other  systems. Also fi into  migratory bee keeping systems

OldBeavo if you read this I would like to ask what it is you use for bait? Thanks Phillip

anything