Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: RVing Weekend Ahead - and upcoming trips  (Read 7136 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
RVing Weekend Ahead - and upcoming trips
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:16:18 pm »
Hey everyone:

Starting Wednesday night I'll be away until LATE Sunday evening - the weather doesn't look so great, it will be in the low 60s and cloudy (if not rainy) all those days according to long-range forecast. But then again they can't get TODAYS weather right most of the time, so my fingers are crossed.

I'm glad the days of tenting it are long behind us - going in a upscale motorcoach has it's advantages in this weather. I have dual propane and electric heat, hot water and double side fridge with ice maker. So we'll be warm, I'll be using the electric heat since we are paying for 50amp service - which saves my propane for future trips.

My biggest worry (if you can call it that) is DVDs which I'll be bringing with us - they don't have cable at this campground (frst time THAT has happened) we are really roughing it without at least 90 channels of cable - lol.

I'm giving great thought of getting 4 or 5 months worth of satalite service for the bus - we have a 18 inch dish mounted and wired already from the previous owners, we just need the receiver. For around $40 a month, we can have 150 channels of digital quality TV anywhere we go - which will be really cool when we go to the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, NY in August. There will be THREE races there that weekend - all for the price of ONE preferred general Admission ticket.

We are going to be just beyond the start finish line (well within site) 30 rows up, directly across from pit road and the giant jumbo-tron TV and near the infamous TURN ONE where cars go from 180mph to 55mph to make the 90 degree turn. A few years ago, Kenny Wallace had complete brake failure and plowed into the NEWLY ADDED 6 foot thick foam barriers - saving his life. His speed at the time he hit the wall was nearly 180mph and the previous wall was a 4 foot thick concrete barrier. The foam saved his life, no doubt.

So, in August, we have PERFECT seats, close by campsite for the RV, but all these tracks have no hookups, so we will surely make use of the generator (240volts - 50amps - 5500watts) and all the other fully self contained systems aboard.

Tracey will not be on this trip - it is a guy trip. Hopefully, the three of us won't kill each other, or at least someone WON'T be taking public transit home - lol.

It will be nice to see these guys away from work (in the case of one guy) and without the rest of the families coming along (as is the case with the other) I can't wait to really rough it at the Glen.

The only question is DO WE TOW THE CAR? I'm debating this because Watkins Glen has a few main roads and 180,000 people at the Glen could cause some serious traffic problems, not to mention the LINES to all the local attractions. So we may just RV it, watch movies on the way down and back (all except for the driver - ugh) but the other two will be tapping the beer and having much more fun then me BOTH routes there and back.

Oh well.... I was just home for lunch, felt like BSing a bit and to let you know that I'll be away for a few days this week. Wish me good weather, either way - my main interests are: it is close to home, so if my Mom needs anythng I can help and it is a GET-A-WAY for my wife who just lost her father about a month ago now. Everyone could use some down time, that's for sure.

Talk later :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:30:48 pm »
Did you move this or just duplicate? I said I would take the car.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 12:31:53 pm »
I don't mean that I would take your car. I mean if I were you I would take your car.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:18:17 pm »
Sorry Jerry - lol. My bad.... I copied the text, but renamed the post. Same content though. I first put it here, then realized it also said I was going away later this week and figured putting it in general too.

I tend to agree about taking the car - just in case I need to get away for awhile - lol. I love the whole Lake Senica Area and really want to see the Glen State Park again, that is soooo impressive. Especially nice now that I have a high-res camera to really do it justice.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 11:55:54 am »
You can pick up a satellite reciever on ebay pretty cheap
then just get the service for the months you want.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: RVing Weekend Ahead - and upcoming trips
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 01:35:37 pm »
Quote from: beemaster

We are going to be just beyond the start finish line (well within site) 30 rows up, directly across from pit road and the giant jumbo-tron TV and near the infamous TURN ONE where cars go from 180mph to 55mph to make the 90 degree turn.

You forgot to mention it is down hill too.  My favorite spot is the inner loop though :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 01:55:42 pm »
I don't think anythng in Nascar beats the inner loop - but that is a hard ticket to get, besides that put us so far away from the available RVing parking - I figured grab the remaining best seats in the house.

I hoping to see the most track possible for the money :) that front stretch is pretty nice for that - and outs us less than 10 minutes from the RV site, so we have the berm at turn 11 only a minute from the RV site if we choose to hang near the bus during any of the races - especially the Friday race, which will be just starting when we get there!!!

I'm excited, although it is over 3 months away - I'd be happy for good weather THIS weekend but don't see it in the plans according to our weather map projections. We'll see, I'm packing firewood JUST in case it does remain dry at least one evening.

I'm just glad weather isn't a big issue for us, one of the perks of having a $410 a month mortgage - sure we'll be house bound if the weather stinks, but we'll be kicking it back and taking a needed brain rest!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 02:08:50 pm »
Ya,  I've never been there for a 'true' Nascar race.  I hear it is a real mad house.  We use to go every year for the Craftsman trucks (free tickets/pit pass :lol:), just for the day (a long day at that).  There is no where near the crowd then and it is basically sit where you want.  We would work our way around the whole track.

Sounds like a good time.... Enjoy.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 04:59:30 pm »
Rob:

I'm looking forward to the Friday race for two reasons, 1) we get tocheck out the Berm seating at turn 11 near the campsite and 2) we WILL be trying our way to the inner loop THAT day. Saturday and Sunday might be WAY out of impossible to navaatew there EVEN to see the race from the trackside fencing.

But with the jumbo-tron smack ahead of us, we'll see EVERYTHING and even be able to anticipate the race at the long strecth in front of us as they round turn 11 and past the start/finish and best of all (which I'm really thrilled about) a completely unobstructed view of pit road!!!

I see we are getting some interest in a camp rally for the forums - I really like this idea and HOPE that it could indeed happen. As I ready, ideal local affordable hotel (alternative stay) tent and RV sites is all really a great way to make the trip more possible for more members.

I sort of like the idea of Centralizing it into an area West of here but fair to those North and South, but allowing people further West to also attend. Honestly, the Lancaster, PA region is VERY nice, many people haven't experienced the Amish Country and the roads into the area are mostly major highways. Plus lots of local stuff to do, I was very impressed with the area and how it has grown.

It's just a though, I surely am as flexable as my Visa Card will allow for fuel and family health issues (mainly my Mom who needs care - I'll be hiring someone to stay with her, but I still try to keep within 4 hours IF both I and Tracey are away together - unlike the Watkins Glen trip which is is GUY trip and Tracey will be home to care for her. I don't even want to think about caring for the CATS who cost more a week beterrn food and litter than I do (well, my food anyways, I'm pretty cheap on the litter  :oops:

I'm not a big BUMPER STICKER kinda guy - but the Nascar trips will definitely get a place on the bus someplace.

Later :)

anything