Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Unwanted Hive in House  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Dennis C

• Brood
Unwanted Hive in House
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:59:45 pm »
I am rehabbing a house near St. Joseph, Missouri and have a hive in one wall.  You can smell the honey.  The wall is going to be removed, but would like the hive removed first.  I would rather not harm the bees, but 2 local beekeepers don't want anything to do with the hive.  Would anyone out there be interested?

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Unwanted Hive in House
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:49:05 am »
Surely someone will be.

I would if I had the vacation time to travel out there, you're a bit far from me, but live near some relatives I'll be visiting next year.  If you want to wait 'til next year I'll be happy to... but I'm sure someone else will be more than happy to before then.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 02:07:08 am »
might be because it's getting kind of late.  i have quit doing cutouts for the year.  the hives probably wouldn't make it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 03:41:38 am »
There's still time... I think the fall flow just started, so if you do a good clean job, and got most of the comb they'd probably make it with a little bit (or a lot) of feeding through the winter.  But as much as bees cost nowadays, it should still be worth it.

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:23:08 am »
[...if you do a good clean job, and got most of the comb they'd probably make it with a little bit (or a lot) of feeding through the winter...]

I don't think you have done very many cutouts to understand the dynamics at play here. Doing a good clean job isn't always a matter of how good the beekeeper is, a lot depends on the location and contruction of where they are located. And you are making a broad and presumptious assertion that you can cut-out and rework combs into frames not only in a functional means but in a pattern that is ideal for the cluster size and brood pattern for the winter. Winter survival depends on a lot more than supportive feeding - if it were that simple a lot more of us would quadruple in size each year.

[I have quit doing cutouts for the year.]

As should I, but I guess I am pressing my luck on a few just to see what results I get trying to winter them as nucs instead of treating them as a full hive. I am feeling from previous experience that feeding too late is creating wetter stores that contributing to winter condensation. Dry feeding is a quick fix, but it fails if you don't have enough warm days to allow the cluster to break. Its considerate and not greedy that you aren't trying to hoard all the bees you can get - shows character.

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:57:08 am »
I think it may also depend on where you are.  Our winter is still a long way away.  I imagine that up near Chicago, you see winter set in a good couple of months before we do.  It doesn't even noticably cool off at all until after halloween here, and it's not unusual to have our first frost in December. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 11:31:27 am »
Its considerate and not greedy that you aren't trying to hoard all the bees you can get - shows character.

well thanks, but not really.  i got call after call this year from people who could get anyone to come get the bees.  either there were so many that we all couldn't keep up, or folks got burned out early.  i am interested in a hobby, not a business, so i took what i could but not more than i needed.  got a couple of nice swarms in the mix.  missed some good opportunities while i was in Iowa....

anyway, given location of the poster....late season would be my reason for not going after that cutout.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:24 pm »
They're only a few hours north of a much warmer climate...

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 01:09:45 pm »
Dennis C. you have a pm. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:07 pm »
Dennis,

I live in the KC area.  I sent u a PM with my phone number.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:50:02 pm »
I knew someone on here would come through for him.