Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: We like the Russians....  (Read 2894 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
We like the Russians....
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:39 am »
My wife and I pulled honey from one of our Russian hives yesterday afternoon.  They are the gentlest bees we have.  I am really pleased with the genetics.  Incidentally they were a new package this spring.  Really pleased with the honey production too.

David   

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: We like the Russians....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:30:58 am »
I have Russians and some ferals as well. I to like my Russians they are usually pretty gentle they built up fast this spring and have produced a ton of honey. I am really happy with them.

Keith

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:18:32 am »
  I have 5 Russian colonies, as well as Italian, Buckfast, German, NWC, and a few colonies of Ferrel's. Trying to find, the one that I like best . The Russians are fast to build up, not as aggressive as the Buckfast. You have to stay one-up on them or you will find them hanging from a tree and a paniced neighbor on the other end of the phone. When I start next years expansions, I think that Russians will make it in the top 2 for our choice to buy, Buckfast, will be at the bottom of the list.
                                           Good luck,
                                            Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 02:02:13 pm »
We have Italians, Carniolans and Buckfast too.  I agree, we put the Russians right up there at the top.     

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:14:46 pm »
We have Italians, Carniolans and Buckfast too.  I agree, we put the Russians right up there at the top.     

where did you get the stock from :) RDY-B

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:08 pm »
I am curious about how quickly they built up.  Are they in deeps, mediums?  How many do they have drawn out?  I, also, would like to know where to get a couple packages of Russians.
Brian

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:39:42 am »
They started on one deep with plasticell April 15th, I added the second deep the last of May.  I put the first medium super on mid June and have pulled fully capped honey this week.  All the frames (10) in the super were drawn out, a few not completely capped (3) I left them in the hive.   The packages came from Walter T. Kelly.   I will admit the hives are on a 40 acre farm with lots of nectar and pollen sources.

David     
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:02:48 am by dpence »

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:04:32 am »
Way to go David. Even with all the rain they are still doing well! OUr Russians are doing fine as well. I agree, they are some of the most easy going of all of our hives.

Dennis

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:10:18 am »
Thanks Dennis, I have some buckwheat blooming.  Not much but some.  I tilled up another strip this week and planted it, hopefully it isn't too late for it to bloom. 

David