Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH  (Read 2478 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
TBH
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:44:00 pm »
Has anyone or would you use plywood for making a top bar hive? I have enough 5 ply 5/8 to make several, if I wanted that many.
Thought about putting a 2x4 length wise on each side to prevent warping, or would that be necessary? Not worried about weight. d2

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: TBH
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:52:01 am »
I'm going to be trying some just to see what happens. I'm not worried about weight either, which was one of the cons in the reading I've done on it. Mangum says watch the sides on the 4 and 5 footers, they can belly out with time and a honey load, causing problems for comb interchangeability. He puts stiffeners on his big boys.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 01:25:02 am »
I also gave that some thought. I believe there might be some way to have a tension rod across the top about center of the length. although my first thought of having a 2x4 on the outside about half way down and the full length of the hive body.

I just watched a video of one being made from 2x12's for the hive body.  no swaying there I bet. d2

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: will tey again TBH
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:37:31 pm »
I got my body parts cut out.  now to get some glue and screws. I made mine for 19 " top bars. can switch between it and the Lang hive if need be. May just start out on an integrated system. d2

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:15:59 pm »
I've only used plywood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin