Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Use of dimensional lumber for deeps  (Read 10511 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Use of dimensional lumber for deeps
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 06:48:03 am »
Boards out of tumbleweed is possible I would imagine. I have been told that saw mills around here break even with sawdust they sell to use in OSB board. I would think you could do the same with tumbleweed... I wouldn't use it for hives and I have no idea of the cost effectiveness but it probably can be done.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline kayaks

• New Bee
    • Alpine Garden and Hearth
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 06:00:29 pm »
The reason that you have too much tear out is probably due to your jig was at one point cut deeper than the cut you are now using. In my home made jig, I have a replaceable thin board insert that I can change when ever I need to reduce the size of the slot being cut. If there is nothing behind the area around the area being cut, it will tear out.

FYI - Moved the fence on my jig to the opposite side and that made a huge difference in the tear out.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 09:26:18 pm »
Boards out of tumbleweed is possible I would imagine. I have been told that saw mills around here break even with sawdust they sell to use in OSB board. I would think you could do the same with tumbleweed... I wouldn't use it for hives and I have no idea of the cost effectiveness but it probably can be done.
Eric,
OSB is not really made from sawdust. It is made from crushed logs that are then flattened and glued back together.
Particle board is made from sawdust.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 05:49:37 am »
OK... In any case either could be made into bee hives but I would not recommend it. Particle board would not last long at all.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 12:45:57 pm »
I have some swarm traps that are from plywood and some that are OSB. The plywoods do not last too long but the OSB is holding up. On the OSB traps, I will in the future, add a wood strip to the tops where I screw the lid down. Screwing into the edge of OSB does not hold up very well.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 07:21:19 pm »
I like to rip the 1x12 and use the scrap for cleat hand-hold.

+1

I butt the ends using blind dowels, clamps and Tightbond II, so I only need six feet of board.  No nails or screws to rust, no box joints to catch water, crack, and separate.  But I only have two hives to support and they are in my backyard.

:cool:

I use butt joints also and Kreg pocket holes. Very simple and fast and as you say 6 feet gives me a bit of wiggle room.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 11:05:46 pm »
Just an update. Bought some 1"x12"s and ripped them. Built a box joint jig and made a few new boxes. Only issue at this point is trying to figure out a way to prevent the dado blade from tearing out so much. Tried masking tape and a slow feed speed, but still don't like the amount of splintering. Maybe the blade isn't the best.

Thanks for all the input.
I use what I call a blow out board to keep down splintering.
I cut 8 boards at a time with a 1/2 inch blow out board to keep down the splintering on the last cut.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 12:09:08 am »
Just an update. Bought some 1"x12"s and ripped them. Built a box joint jig and made a few new boxes. Only issue at this point is trying to figure out a way to prevent the dado blade from tearing out so much. Tried masking tape and a slow feed speed, but still don't like the amount of splintering. Maybe the blade isn't the best.

Thanks for all the input.
When I make box joints I cut 8 boards at one time.
To prevent a blow out or tear out use an old board for the final board.
That will prevent tear out.
I just hang them on the wall and marked them blow out boards that I re-use.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

anything