Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what to do  (Read 1395 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
what to do
« on: June 30, 2020, 01:21:57 pm »
 :sad:   big strong hive . looked at them , not much going on , the other 2 hives are cranked up .lots activity. took a listen , silence ??  got into the hive this morning tons of bees . and some crawling on the ground not able to fly.went through every frame found only a 3 in sq of brood???  found no queen no eggs or larve. both supers and brood chamber seems to be packed with honey about half was capped. i removed 2 frames about half capped and replaced with 2 empty frames with foundation. put the removed frames in  the freezer. any ideas about whats going on.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: what to do
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 01:35:06 pm »
Queen gone and no way to replace her.

Add a frame of eggs and open brood from another hive or buy a queen, or both.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:39:38 am »
having advertised the bees and hives for sale had a possible buyer come by. he looked the situation over and was of the opinion that they had raised a queen who had mated and returned and the bees on the ground were drones [they were] and were being thrown out as the were not needed anymore. found one with marts almost ripped off. hive is quiet looking very normal.i think i will wait and see .lots of bees and stores. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 06:03:31 am »
Very possible, but I would still add a frame of eggs and open brood. First, in case they do need to raise a queen, second, to boost the young population if they don't.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 09:32:36 am »
spoke with the local bee supply store owner . he thinks its too late for them to make a queen and get going enough to survive the winter. i thinks so too. can get a new queen next wed.
i thought i might try to combine this hive with the other 2 hives that would give me a double deep with three supers and a single deep with 3  supers. please does any one have a thought on this?    :sad:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 11:08:49 am »
too late?   You have plenty of drawn comb and honey (and pollen?) it is not late at all.   I would do as Iddee suggested and put a frame off eggs/young larvae in the hive and in the meantime order your new queen.   In 24 hrs if they haven't started making queen cells than they have a virgin or newly mated queen who hasn't started laying.  If there is still capped brood then the replacement queen window has not closed yet.   If you don't do the egg/larvae test you could very well be throwing away your money on a new queen that they kill.    It also will give them a boost of young bees as Iddee stated.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 10:09:00 am »
Yeah, too late?  Be leary of salesman.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 10:04:43 pm »
iddee gave you good advice with Robos' backing. I agree with both. I hope this works out for you beesonhay. Let us know the outcome.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything