Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee gloves  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Re: Bee gloves
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 09:05:41 am »
LOLOL Well, things changed since the post above.
I am not a virgin anymore~!!
I have been handling the bees mostly with just a hat and safety glasses and smoke.
Today I had a friend and his 2 kids visiting.
They wanted to see the bees, especially the 8 yo boy.
I only planned to lift the cover for a few seconds with them standing about 8 feet away.
Then.......I thought, while I have the cover in my hand, I will put some syrup in the feeder and I was too lazy to light the smoker...........that's when the trouble started.........I was holding the lid with my left hand, still r Synge on top of hive,  and went to pour the syrup and 2 got me on the underside of the arm between shoulder and elbow, that is tender meet there.

Lesson Learned:
If you remove the lid, you need smoke.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:41 am »
If you remove the cover do not hold it in your hand.  They will crawl up your arm and most likely get pinched between your arm and body and then zap.  If I am going to take the hive apart I lay the cover upside down and flat on the ground so I can stack boxes on it and not crush bees on the bottom of the box.  If I am just going to snoop I lay it against the hive.  The inner cover is always laid against the hive.
To open a hive without smoke and an 8 year old near by could result in regrets.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »
Captain, are you keeping Asiatic honey bees A, cerana, or European bees, A. mellifera?
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 02:49:31 pm »
Back to the start of this discussion,  I got some unlined 11 mil nitrile gloves, haven't had a bee get up close and personal yet with the 11 mil.  I was doing a cutout and I got tagged through the 9 mil gloves.  They were getting cranky and I changed to 11s and no more stings through the gloves.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 07:12:17 pm »
Paus, don't take this as criticism, but I would look at the handling methods or temperature of the day if the bees are getting that cranky.
If the bees are just cranky, then that is your decision whether you put up with them or change queens.
I am not an expert on gloves as I don't use them.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2017, 11:27:58 pm »
Captain, are you keeping Asiatic honey bees A, cerana, or European bees, A. mellifera?

I am told by the Bee Farm where I got them, they are Asian Taiwan bees.
I took a dead one and then spent time on the internet trying to see if I could discern what species they are, I could not tell with certainty.
The Entemology Professor will be coming to my house in the next week, I will discuss with her and she will see what I have.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 11:08:10 pm »
I like this glove the best..

https://thehoneyexchange.com/products/bucko-beekeeping-gloves

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 01:15:06 am »
Jim,
Those gloves are too thick for me. You cannot feel the bees under your fingers and the cloves take a lot of stingers which irritates the bees when you put your hand in the hive. I do have a pair like them in my truck for emergencies in case there is a spilled load of bees that I need to handle.
If I need gloves for a hot hive, I use the purple nylon ones.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 04:56:55 am »
About 98% of time I do not use gloves. This is what I have in my vehicle. When things go badly. I also realize everybody's tolerance is different  as to the term  badly.
I personally would really use smoke on my hands.Gloves of any kind is a last resort for me.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 07:09:34 am »
Both Jims fit with my way of doing things.
Without gloves when the bees start head butting your hands its time for a bit more smoke, unsure if you would feel the little head butts with gloves.
What you say about gloves carrying stingers is interesting, the "sting here smell" that is left with the sting does fire them up if they are going to fizz.
I carry a small bucket with water, hive tool and a stainless steel pot scourer. Water for washing hands and scourer to keep hive tool from carrying too much junk between hives. If ii get stung, after scraping the sting, I usually wash the stung area, cool water relief and get rid of the attack here smell.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:13 am »
I use gloves every time as I don't like being stung and I used my hands regularly and having them swell would just be a hassle.

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 12:48:49 pm »
I use gloves every time as I don't like being stung and I used my hands regularly and having them swell would just be a hassle.

Yeah - same here. I write code for a living, and swollen hands means a day off work.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 01:06:29 pm »
About 98% of time I do not use gloves. This is what I have in my vehicle. When things go badly. I also realize everybody's tolerance is different  as to the term  badly.
I personally would really use smoke on my hands.Gloves of any kind is a last resort for me.

Same here.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 01:49:05 pm »

Yeah - same here. I write code for a living, and swollen hands means a day off work.

I don't code but I am thinking of having to change a diaper and dress a 20 month old. Clumsy hands just looks like poop on the floor and a crying baby to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 10:51:19 pm »
If you get stung, apply Benadryl and hydrocortisone to the sting as soon  as possible and you will help your body to get used to not reacting to stings. Most experienced Beekeepers do not swell up from a few stings.
It is important for beekeepers and their spouses get bee stings from time to time to keep from developing a severe reaction from handling dried venom from suits and gloves.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2017, 04:28:42 pm »
If you get stung, apply Benadryl and hydrocortisone to the sting as soon  as possible and you will help your body to get used to not reacting to stings. Most experienced Beekeepers do not swell up from a few stings.
It is important for beekeepers and their spouses get bee stings from time to time to keep from developing a severe reaction from handling dried venom from suits and gloves.
Jim
Jim....................

I have seen that thrown about but I have not seen any scientific studies done on it. I have gotten stung but I would rather take one anywhere but the hands and the eyes because I need them to watch and work on my son.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2017, 07:51:00 pm »
I use TIG welding gauntlet gloves, thin, soft and comfortable leather with feel. Yes I do get stung through them but not often and it's not a full on sting.
If I was allergic to bee stings I'd buy my honey.....

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2017, 11:14:00 pm »
Jim
Jim....................

I have seen that thrown about but I have not seen any scientific studies done on it. I have gotten stung but I would rather take one anywhere but the hands and the eyes because I need them to watch and work on my son.

I had a woman come to me for a jar of bees that she needed for apiatherapy to keep her from being bed ridden by fibermyalija. She had been using bee stings every other day to live. Her husband became allergic to bees because he did the laundry. I talked her into getting her own hive. After the second year she started sting her husband and immediately removing the stinger, with an epypen ready. They slowly left the stingers in longer and longer and now he takes care of the bees.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2017, 11:39:03 pm »
Here is something interesting. About the importance of being stung.

https://youtu.be/P0QB96RrGdM

BEE  HAPPY Jim 134   :smile:
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2017, 07:23:43 am »
My experience shows me........we prepare for opening the hive, use initial puffs of smoke, then we start the inspection or whatever task we are doing and don't pick up the smoker until you are stung or the bees are noticeable getting agitated.
When you have the hive open and the top of every frame looks like that cartoon of Kilroy with the girls all peeking over the top of the frame, that is time for a few short puff so they go back down inside and you continue with activity.

anything