Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: That's gratitude for ya...  (Read 2992 times)

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
That's gratitude for ya...
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:58:18 am »
I added another medium super on one of my hives today, and they swarmed 40 feet up a tree less than an hour later.  Silly bees!  We had to let them go. Ten feet is about our limit.
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
Re: That's gratitude for ya...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:09:38 am »
I`ve gone 16 feet on a gardener`s three legged ladder, but 40 feet might get you killed.  Old frames in that super, maybe carrying an odor?  I once did that myself, so learned to sniff frames from storage before use.   Just a guess....
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:32 am »
I would say late getting the super on.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:36:39 pm »
You could have given them 20 frames with the sweetest honey and you would not stop that hive from swarming an hour later. They already had their preparations completed and were waiting for the right conditions to leave. You would have to have added the super about 5 or more days before the swarm to stop them. If you saw the swarm cells, you could have done a split and moved the queen to stop it, maybe.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:39:24 pm »
I`ve gone 16 feet on a gardener`s three legged ladder, but 40 feet might get you killed.  Old frames in that super, maybe carrying an odor?  I once did that myself, so learned to sniff frames from storage before use.   Just a guess....
If they are only 16' up in a tree, get a 5 gallon bucket, tape it to a 8' pole and bump the branch they are on with the bucket under the swarm. Then pour the bees into a waiting hive or nuc depending on the size of the swarm. Works great.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 01:11:08 pm »
You can put a dozen supers on at anytime. It won't slow down swarming if you don't give her more laying room in the brood nest.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:59:31 pm »
Ah, yes... a swarm, not an abscond....   :embarassed:
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 05:24:45 pm »
You can put a dozen supers on at anytime. It won't slow down swarming if you don't give her more laying room in the brood nest.

That is interesting.  How do beekeepers get away with one deep brood box and a QE above that?  I don't use a QE so I wouldn't see the problem but there are a lot of people that do.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:39:02 am »
hm, good thought, but they had been sitting in the sun for days, and I had just taken the foundation out cuz we're going foundationless.... Good thought tho

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 02:45:26 am »
Ah, yes... a swarm, not an abscond....   :embarassed:
yes... thankfully!

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:12:24 am »
I added another medium super on one of my hives today, and they swarmed 40 feet up a tree less than an hour later.  Silly bees!  We had to let them go. Ten feet is about our limit.

If it should happen again - try and get a line over a branch as near to the swarm as possible.  Maybe use a kiddies bow and arrow (?) - with some fishing line attached to the arrow.  Use that line to pull over something a little heavier - clothes-line type rope - and then use that to pull a drawn frame (with open brood if possible) up to the swarm.  If you attach the other end of the rope to the frame, then you can assist gravity by pulling it downwards, as often rope tends to 'grip' against the tree bark.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 01:07:35 am »
Well, one of our other hives swarmed today, and made up for the 40 foot swarm.  They landed at about 5 1/2 feet.  Easy pickins' my husband called it.  We were out in our compound building a fence for the garden (a fence within a fence) and watched to see where they would land.  They landed in our smallest apple tree and we landed another hive!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:12:22 am »
 :smile:
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 08:33:46 am »
Well, one of our other hives swarmed today, and made up for the 40 foot swarm.  They landed at about 5 1/2 feet.

Are you looking for more hives and no honey?  I am wondering why you are not splitting.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 01:39:00 am »
I would say late getting the super on.
Ya think???  :)
 :grin:

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 01:46:53 am »
Well, one of our other hives swarmed today, and made up for the 40 foot swarm.  They landed at about 5 1/2 feet.

Are you looking for more hives and no honey?  I am wondering why you are not splitting.
Well, largely because I work full time a 45 minute drive from where we live and I usually have only the weekends and occasional vacations for going inside our hives.  My husband is allergic, so I try do the more involved beekeeping, and, not trying to be any certain way, beekeeping in just more my "thing" than his.  He helps me catch swarms and helps in many other ways.  I am planning to take several extra days off during swarm season and the summer, though.  I've done two splits so far this year.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 04:36:54 pm »
I got busy this year and got behind on my bees too.  Had to spend more time catching swarms than doing splits(17 swarms caught).  Sometimes stuff happens.  :wink:

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 01:26:15 am »
I got busy this year and got behind on my bees too.  Had to spend more time catching swarms than doing splits(17 swarms caught).  Sometimes stuff happens.  :wink:
Wow!  17!  Impressive!

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 01:31:56 am »

Are you looking for more hives and no honey?
Actually, we only harvest honey about once every 3 years.  We don't sell it and it lasts me that long.  We keep bees for our garden and our neighbors' gardens, and for our orchard.  And then there's the fact that bees are absolutely amazing creatures. And we got them into the mess that they're in, we can do our best to help them out!  Keeping bees is a meditation.  Shall I go on??  :embarassed: