BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

to harvest or not

<< < (3/3)

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on March 17, 2021, 08:46:44 am ---Crispy. You will probably get more comments by posting in the regular/general thread, rather than this "down under" section. I consider it for you aussies, looking for regional advice from fellow countrymen. That might not be true, but it is what I have always thought.

--- End quote ---

Took the words right out of my mouth lol. There use to be a poster from there in Australia that posted in both places that was very knowledgeable.  eltalia  I have not seen a post by him in quite sometime. 

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: crispy on March 17, 2021, 07:34:45 am ---Thankyou for your replies sorry about the rant but i am really flying blind here

Again please accept my apologies for my rant yesterday as a new beek i am constantly looking for answers i suppose it is lucky i don't have a mentor i would probably drive them nuts with questions , books can give you some idea the same as videos but i know of even professional bee keepers who have mentors running hundreds of hives .

--- End quote ---
No worries, and I get it.  I don't have a mentor or a bee club either, and I would never have gotten this far without the help of this forum.  We are very willing to help you out the best we can and we will gladly answer all the questions you can think up, but just remember to keep all of our answers in the context of your microclimate and your seasons and conditions.   

Bee North:
Hi Crispy,
Mate take the following as a guess with a little research mixed in.

Firstly I'm from the tropics as you know and dont have a winter. So my management is very different to yours.

I have had a look into how others manage their hives in S.A and this is what I read:
Your "winter" is really only for two months June/July - give or take. It looks like things kick off again through August and spring flow is in September.
I read on another forum many beeks in S.A remove supers in May and "winter" with one brood box only. Keeping in mind to ensure the outer frames are all honey etc.
I also read of S.A beeks extracting through Autumn as there should be a flow happening...now.
That's all I could find.

You could probably do either....Go to one brood box or keep the super on considering bee numbers.

Check out the "bush bee man" on YouTube. He is in S.A maybe ask him for some advice.

What I would try if I couldnt get local advice:
I would extract a few frames now and leave the rest for the girls. They still have a couple of months to top up stores for "winter".

I would keep the super on and remove the QE if numbers are strong enough for two boxes. Come August before the September flow get the queen below and replace the QE. You will probably have surplus honey and chances r some to extract to make room for the flow and prevent swarming!!

You will know better what to expect next year.

Keep  notes on dates, flows, pollen coming in, hive expansion and if she stops laying etc. as well as how much honey they used.

Good luck getting better local advice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version