Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame assembly  (Read 6931 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Frame assembly
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 09:13:21 am »
Ralphy,
I have built thousands of frames because I was growing the numbers of hives pretty quickly. Each hive needs 40 to 60 frames, depending on where I have them. I went from 2 hives to 10 to 20 hives and I now have enough equipment for 37 hives.
20 times 50 frames is 1000 frames.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 12:19:34 am »
Thanks, i thought i was missing some basic bee keeper knowledge about never using the same frame twice or other weird reason.
I see so many posts about building 1000+ frames
Using 8 frame boxes here (lighter and was guided that way at the start) so one brood box and one super is only 16 frames, so 1000 frames would give me over 62 hives.
That's a lot of hives!

I know that old frames (going black) should be swapped out every other year or so and always keep in mind disease containment when mixing gear etc etc
Even for a commercial bee keeper i couldn't work out why they would need to make so many frames so often.
What about the wax inserts? Do you make your own?
Maybe i should start a new post for my questions... Sorry to steal your post!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 08:08:21 am »

Using 8 frame boxes here
So do I but I have had a  hive 8 boxes high.  Not here in FL though.  Depends on your flows.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 02:49:36 pm »
I use a jig.  I glue them.  Then I staple them with 1" long 1/4" crown stables from a pneumatic gun.  I have three different brands and I think only the newest one is working now.  I wore two of them out over the years.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2020, 08:36:43 pm »
I use a jig.  I glue them.  Then I staple them with 1" long 1/4" crown stables from a pneumatic gun.  I have three different brands and I think only the newest one is working now.  I wore two of them out over the years.

Mr Bush there is no telling how many staples you have shot throughout the years!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 09:47:27 pm »
Do you get a lot of those uncapped cells in the picture you have with your profile post pic?
Do you ever get any cells that never get capped?

Offline snispel

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 02:25:56 am »

I use a jig and glue and nail like Mr Bush. It works quite slick. It's basically one bottomless box inside another bottomless box. The frame sides fit snug between the two boxes. The top bar goes on first. Once stapled, pull out the inside box and add the bottom bars. Once stapled, remove outside box. Poof!

anything