BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Hive beetles

<< < (7/7)

shaw4777:
I could probably fabricate whole thing out of metal and add a drain to facilitate cleanup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Framed:
> I was using oil tray for weeks and it was working (dead beetles) but beetle population was growing.  When I added fabric beetle population seemed to collapse within about 3 weeks.

Jim and Paus taught me of oil traps. Jim told me that when using oil traps the beetles will continue to come like a lure until all beetles in an area are eradicated. The oil trap not only kills beetles that are already in your hive but attracts beetles for your surrounding area. Which is a good thing in my opinion. That may explain why you showed a continued flow of beetles up until point they tapped out. I also suspect the oil trays solved your problem, not the fiber, most likely a coincidence of timing of running out of beetles and placing the sheet of fabric about the same time?
I hope this helps.

Re: How to lure small hive beetles to their death?
? Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 08:23:55 am ?
Ben,
When I was putting vegetable oil in my trays, the dead would build up in the traysand it seemed like the more dead ones there were in them the more they seem to be attracted to the oil. The trays seem to fill faster when there were more dead ones in the oil. The trays would turn solid black. It was not until our SHB population dwindled that this slowed down.
Jim

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Acebird on July 25, 2020, 09:06:21 am ---Good post Ben.  Thanks

--- End quote ---

Thanks Ace. Your Welcome my friend.

shaw4777:
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version