BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Mason jar external beetle trap

<< < (2/8) > >>

Bob Wilson:
Joe who? I would like to know.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: bobll on July 21, 2019, 04:56:21 pm ---Joe who? I would like to know.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on July 19, 2019, 12:03:57 am ---Bob, JOE MAY  Use to use this method but does no longer. I ask him about this but I can?t remember the reason that he gave me for abandoning this use.
Phillip

--- End quote ---

Joe May 😁.  Joe is a YouTube beeman and teaches. (Shares beekeeping methods). Bob it seems he told my that the jars would not work well with his hive stands but I can?t remember for sure. Once he told me he had scrapped this method, I discarded it and never gave it another thought.
Phillip

Joe D:
Bob, I used to have a TBH that I put #8 hardware cloth, across the bottom, and had a closed compartment under it with a pan I made with water with a cheap dishwashing liquid mixed in.  In the summer you had to check the water level because of evaporation. When you get several dead shb you can  dump them out and refill. Have it where the bees can't get into it.  It's not as hard to clean as with the oil.  I had it running completely under the hive.

Good Luck to you and your bees,

Joe D

Bob Wilson:
Joe,
Used to? Do you do something better now with your hives?
I was planning on having an extra jar, unscrewing one jar and pouring its oil through a small sieve into that jar and screwing the extra jar into the former's position. One by one I would strain and trade out each jar with the former. No water. No soap. Just 2 inches of mineral oil in a glass jelly jar. (Preferably, a wide mouth jelly jar)

Bob Wilson:
I bought some #7 hardware cloth from funnybugbees.com for a little over $3 a sqft. I bought 3 sqft for $10 and change, but the shipping cost almost twice the cost of the product, even after they adjusted their calculations. Now I just need to build this hive with these mason jar traps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version