Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying honey distributors  (Read 10377 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Buying honey distributors
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:25:34 am »
I've been attempting to sell my honey directly to consumers, going to farmers markets to do so. I spent a good 5-9 hours when I do so, and usually make a couple hundred bucks selling honey at $11-13.5 a kilo. It's a lot of time investment for only an average pay off.

I've been told recently by a local beekeeper that it's common for honey distributors to buy honey direct from beekeepers at $9 a kilo. Allegedly, there's no quantity too small, or too large when it comes to selling to them. The idea of saving all that time by simply taking a couple hundred kilos directly to a buyer, to sell all at once at $9 is very appealing and something I want to get into.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to actually find these businesses. I was told that I can buy some magazine, costs $60 for a yearly subscription and there's a number of advertisements in there from people wishing to buy honey.

Does anyone know of any suppliers, or have any idea of how I could go about finding them? Would I need an ABN number or some sort of official honey supplier bureaucracy thingy in order to sell to such, or might these businesses do cash in hand exchanges?

Offline Dave P

• New Bee
Re: Buying honey distributors
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:22:44 pm »
$9.00 a kilo would be a pipe dream dream i beleave Capilano is paying $4.50 a kilo at the moment for 1st grade honey. the ABK has honey buyers from all over Aus.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »
$9.00 a kilo would be a pipe dream dream i beleave Capilano is paying $4.50 a kilo at the moment for 1st grade honey. the ABK has honey buyers from all over Aus.

Thanks Dave... I didn't wish to be the one to tell him brokerage is a whole new ballgame
for b'keeps. Himself and most of that ilk (sideliners) are way better off doing what they do
do. Jeff@Buderim knows the drill...Om could ask him over listening to whomever it is he is.

Bill

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 05:57:54 pm »
Maybe that was a best case scenario, seems like her information might have been off.

ABK was the magazine with the buyers that she suggested. It's pretty pricey for a yearly subscription, can't seem to find second hand copies to buy eh.

Do you use the magazine yourself? I'm attending a local amateur bee club soon in about a month, I wonder if someone there will have access to a magazine that I can look through.

Well, thanks for confirming about that Bill. She told me that I could more or less easily find people wanting to pay $9 a kilo, and that I should therefore never sell honey for less than that. I mentioned that when I first started out I investigated those options, and saw these companies were only offering $4-6 a kilo so figured it wasn't worth it. She said that to sell honey at such a price is undercutting yourself. Seems like she might have unrealistic ideas, I'm a bit unsure either way.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 07:35:03 pm »
Its a different ball game when you start selling 1.5T IBC to 500g jars.
$9/kg might be a good minimum for bulk retail sales but it is totally unrealistic for commercial wholesale where a processor and retailer are still to add on their costs and profit margins.
I cant buy lamb from the butchers or supermarket any cheaper than $20-30kg, I certainly dont expect to receive $600 when I sell a 20kg lamb in fact if I can get a third of retail prices I am doing well. Honey is no different and $4.50/kg is about a third of retail pricing.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:24:49 pm »
I subscribe to the ABK magazine and a US mag as well.

The ABK is mostly reprints from the US mag and Irish newsletters. Disapointingly few local articles .

Yes, there are honey buyers.

Gather By 0417495862

Berringa  03 84563453

Leabrook 0882627555

Superbee 02 68511155

And of course capilano.

If I would get $ 9/kg for my honey I would happily sell it. Capilano ( told yesterday) pays at the moment $ 4.80 to shareholders and $ 4.50/kg to non-shareholders ( told a while back.

I sell our honey at two markets for $ 12/kg in a glass jar and take the jars back for a $ 1 refund.

The stall fee knocks a few dollars off and I spend maybe two hours preparing and 5 hrs at the market plus travel time/fuell.

The jars cost me around $ 1 if I buy a pallet. The labels cost me 30 cents per jar - $ 9 sounds like heaven!! :cheesy:

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:37:00 pm »
I'm guessing then the lady might have meant she sells it to retailers at $9 minimum.

Thanks a lot for the numbers, max2, I rang them all. Berringa's number was no longer connected, I got to chat with someone from Leabrook , they sound like a lovely company, the man said that they buy at $5 a kilo. I think at that price, I'd rather just sell directly to customers. Maybe I'll be able to find some retailers that I can sell to instead.

How do you rewash the used jars, max2? Seems noneworthwhile to offer refund for $1.

$1 for a jar by the way seems way too expensive. I buy mine for $.6-.7 each. Where do you get yours from?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:07:36 pm »
 Not my place to answer, but the point of giving them a dollar back for the used jar is to have repeat business.  It's like a buck off for their loyalty to you.  Even if you threw the jar away, you've established a customer relationship that's worth a lot. I don't buy the jar back, but I give them a dollar off on the next purchase if they bring the jar back.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:45 pm »
Hi Omni - the jars come from Plastene.I'm told the jars are made in Australia - the last ones standing. I buy by the pallet. The problem is that I'm in a rural area and the transport adds considerably to the cost. I can't handle a pallet here ( I have no forklift) and have to pay a person to help me un-load.

We pre-wash each jar , take the labels off and then strilise the jars in hot water and dry them in the sun.

Dallas is correct - we have very loyal customers. They return the jar and buy more. We can sell about 4000 kg mostly this way.

We also sell nuc's - again, pretty small scale but it keeps me active.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 03:35:34 am »
I also buy my jars from Plastene. Makes sense that it costs more considering your location, I pick up the jars myself.

Why do you go to such lengths with the jars that you buy? I'm under the impression that such is unnecessary, and another beekeeper I spoke to online who also buys from Plastene has said to me that they spoke to a representative of the company that basically implied it's not needed. Rinsing them just in case something winded up can have some benefits, but isn't sterilizing the lids without benefit?

Interesting about the loyal customers. I'm quite unsure, but I figured that it's most difficult to get someone to initially buy a product, and once they do buy it and try it, the quality should keep them coming back anyway? Do you wash and reuse the jars that they return?

I'm sure it keeps you very active! :)

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 07:21:29 am »
Sorry, Omny, I was not very clear.

We wash/sterilise jars which have been returned.

The jars from Plastene are clean and need no washing.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:30:30 am »
Good to know! Thanks.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:43 pm »
Had a beekeeper calling in to buy some gear ( jars, actually!) and she told me that she is selling 1kg of honey in glass for $ Aus 15 and gives $ 2 back for the jar and a friend of her's sells the honey for $ 18/kg with $ 2 for a return!
Maybe my $ 12 is too cheap!? :smile:

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 02:11:57 am »
$2 a jar seems quite excessive. Does she not realise she can buy from Plastene? $18 a kilo is rather surprising but $15 isn't, I see people sell for that much and wonder as well if I'm not charging enough. On the other hand though, some people won't pay more than $10 per kilo (for the 1kg tubs anyway).

I'm finding working out the price to be rather tricky as well.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 03:21:47 am »
I guess the thinking is that $ 2 is worth returning the jar...and buy more. She know that the jars come from Plasdene but has probably worked out that driving down to Brisbane and pay more for small quamtities is not worth her while.
Here on the Sunshine Coast the prices varii from market to market.

I have never been attracted to the kg tubs. I don't know why but they look cheap to me.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 06:30:15 am »
I suppose that makes sense. $2 just seems like a lot to me for a returned used jar.

hm, I like the look of them but maybe in a certain light they look cheap in comparison to glass jars. Nonetheless, people seem to buy them more than the smaller glass jars, they're the most sought out product that I have.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 11:30:14 am »
I just did my first harvest and sold out within 3 weeks, just from word of mouth. 400g glass jar, $10 each. I only had 64 jars but I too was worried that I priced maybe to high. Not one person flinched at the price. People want raw honey, not what you buy in the supermarket. Lift your prices people.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 02:40:17 pm »
I just did my first harvest and sold out within 3 weeks, just from word of mouth. 400g glass jar, $10 each. I only had 64 jars but I too was worried that I priced maybe to high. Not one person flinched at the price. People want raw honey, not what you buy in the supermarket. Lift your prices people.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

400g = 14.1 ounces.  Sounds about right.  I charge $10 a pound here.  That's a bit more than supermarket honey, but I agree that people want raw LOCAL honey and are willing to pay for it.  When I run out, people ask me to remember them next time I harvest.  I think $15 for a kilo is way too little.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 04:38:25 pm »
Sydney Guy - you are in Sydney, I'm in an area with too much unemployment and loads of pensioners.
The other beekeeper at the market sells for $ 9/kg.  His sign now also says " Raw Honey"  and I have no reason to think he is not telling the truth.

I would like to think that at my price  everybody can afford, Raw, Local Honey.

I used to sell vegetables. Now that is a mugs game. I used to sell a bunch of Kale for $2 - about what the locals would pay - visitors from Brisbane would give me double as they where used to much higher ( realistic?) pricing. The same with Broccoli - I would sell Organic Broccoli for $5/kg but the locals would drive to the nearest ALDI and buy it for $ 1.99.

Selling honey, like beekeeping is very local.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 05:43:02 pm »
(edit)
Selling honey, like ....

..... our poster pollie PM, Mr. Fullabull would have it, as business, "what
the market will bear, have the people decide".

One solid reason  I have largely stayed away from honey sales in my
b'keep path is I find the whole exercise distasteful. Even back when
80cents a pound was the best any buyer would offer I never "got on"
with those b'keeps whose yards resembled what today many cry over
as news breaks of yet another "puppy farm" bust. Beehives being
a box not unlike a packing crate look 'good' most times from the outside.
But one has to look inside to meet the Man... or Woman.

My efforts lean to having bees at peace in their environ, more as a
practical thing in their doing what they evolved to do. An' if by chance
there is a surplus of honey, wellllll, thanks, maaates.

Bill

anything