Welcome, Guest

Poll

How many seasons do you have under your belt (or elastic) working with bees in TBHs?

4 or more

Author Topic: How many years with Top Bars?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
How many years with Top Bars?
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »
Just finished reading all the threads in this section... took me a week and a half.  :embarassed:

A lot of folks have come and gone, was just wondering who's sticking with it for the long haul.
I'm starting two Langs and two TBHs this spring, but really leaning toward TBHs for the niche I'd like to fit into.

Thanks for taking the poll -
Glen

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
Re: How many years with Top Bars?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:14:19 am »
Most likely will move TBHs into Langstroths this spring.  Was fun for awhile though.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:04:07 am »
Probably should have stated the Zero slot is for those starting with TBHs this year.

Last night was the end of a a 6hour/3 night Beginner's program that our Extension Service puts on. I took the whole family to it - wife, 10 yo twins, and my mom. Mom has fields of henbit and dead nettle, then beans, plus lots of poplar and two old lindens. She's going to let me set a couple of hives up her way.

The agent had a local beek lined up to speak, but he couldn't make it so he sent a recorded PP program that he threw together. It was really interesting to hear how strongly he advised against TBH's, especially to an unknown group of listeners.

Offline krista45036

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:29:37 am »
i picked the zero option; have 2 TBHs ready to go for this spring.

the folks at the local bee club look at me with sympathy...   :cool:

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:13:11 am »
I'm learning really fast just to keep my mouth shut!  :embarassed:

I know how kind words influenced me with my blacksmithing hobby 35 years ago... My youngest son will be crossing over from a super active cub pack to a thriving scout troop next year. The third world aspects of the TBH could play well in the arena of a 40+ boy troop. Who knows where that could lead.

Offline krista45036

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:52 am »
i know what u mean.  at the last meeting a gentleman offered me some frames of brood to help my ordered packages get a better start.  very nice of him, but had to decline due to having TBH.   :tongue:
some folks might do a 'chop & crop', but i'm too inexperienced to do that...

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:14 pm »
Hived my first three Top Bars yesterday.  :grin:

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:49:57 am »
Krista, you could have made it.  I first built a tb, got a cut out to go in it.  I made sides and a bottom for the bars (made it into  frames).
used string and rubber bands to hold comb in. 
Good luck to you all,  One of these days I am going to make a long hive.  A tbh with lang frames.  Then you can swap frame if needed, and can sling out honey.
I guess I have had bees in my tb for 5 years.

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:04:04 am »
I built my first wood version of a Greek basket hive in 1974 or 75... I guess that's about 40 years... where's the category for that?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 08:07:07 pm »
Come on, man - you know you're in a class by yourself!   :cool:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 12:24:16 am »
Build my first TBH in north africa out of 55 gallon drums.While I was in the USA peace corps 1983 fo 85.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:15:44 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 09:04:16 am »
The poll is taking an interesting shape...  Folks working with TBHs have either been doing it a long time, or are interested/just getting in. Not so many middle of the road folks.

I've read that the number of folks that get into (breeding) chickens and sticking with it more than three years is less than 3%...  I wonder if the numbers are similar for serious beeks.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 07:07:56 pm »
   I know I have read statements about 6 percent of the newbies will be keeping bees in 5 years. I have read this several times. I cannot tell you if this true one way or the other. One thing I do know the County beekeeping club I belong was about a 110 members in the mid eighties.The club went down to about 7 or 8 by 2000 .Now 2015 back up to about a 100 and it has done this cycle several times since the club beginning in 1927.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:47:31 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 07:30:56 am »
      You do realize the USA had about 5,000,000 hives at the end of the II World War now about 2,500,000 hives.....Now in the USA 5% of the beekeepers own 95% of all the beehives in the USA. I would say these numbers are probably pretty consistent with all types of Agriculture in the USA.

BEE HAPPY Jim  :smile:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:17:44 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 06:55:32 pm »
"I don't like it, but I guess things happen that way." MIB

When the system breaks, we'll have to roll back to the small guy carrying the big portion of the load.

anything