Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Okay, so you don't like Zombies, how about UFO stories?  (Read 3542 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Okay, so you don't like Zombies, how about UFO stories?
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:00 am »
I mentioned in a few previous posts that I read a series by Mark Tufo and read by Sean Runette called Zombie Fall-out books 1-7. It was a very very good, bordering on great zombie series, but there are more stories starring the main character Mike Talbot - including the Indian Hill series books 1-3.

Indian hill takes place when Talbot is an older teen, as does another book which almost seems written in a parellel universe about Talbot, also as a teen with the same friends, but with very different plot lines. But back to Indian Hill, Mike and about 10,000 other people from Earth are beamed up to a spaceship, a very huge ship that is quoted as being the size of a very large football stadium. This ship is only one of three used to dispatch humans into space, and the mother ship which is parked near Venus has a hangar bay with nearly ten thousand of similar ships sent to Earth. Obviously it is something the Earth is unlikely ready for.

The first book, which I am listening to now reminds me a bit of the Hunger Games, teens (but some older people) used as warrior against each other for the enjoyment and betting of others. To the winner goes the spoils of each match, which in this case are typically women since the aliens, a reptilian species assume human males only think of one thing. Of course, one guy have 30-40 women can get nightmarish very quickly and just trying to focus for the next battle can be frustrating. Are the aliens sexist, I think so - but to some of the males, having a harem of women is as good as it gets, although the real prize is that the winner of a battle gets to live for the next battle, and there is never a second place - it is truly "kill or be killed".

I've read a lot of sci-fi over the years, some so heavy that it comes with maps of various galaxies, pages of characters to help you remember who's who since there may be 500 characters in some of these heavy sci-fi books - Indian Hill is NOT like that, it is easy reading, almost teen sci-fi, but not quite. It keeps your attention I believe more-so if you have read all the various Talbot books. Total, I have read 10 prior to this, so I can see the characters as they start as children and grow to their late 40s. The books were written out of sequence, Star Wars like, but most don't fill in the missing years, the truly are stand-alone books.

This one was good, I just loaded the next 2 books into my iPhone, no doubt I'll be listening to some of it on the way to and from Bud6.

Rating wise, this is a 3.5 out of 5. I think it could be a bit heavier and still not be top heavy. Although there are 2 more books in the series and at Audible.com people weren't too happy with book 2, they loved book 3. So, time to listen to 15 hours of audiobooks that most readers didn't like, but it's okay - it suppose to get really good in the final book.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Okay, so you don't like Zombies, how about UFO stories?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:59:39 pm »
boss be sure and send me another time frame on yo arrival   don't wanna be late
the ufp down my alley
to bee or not to bee

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Okay, so you don't like Zombies, how about UFO stories?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:13:08 pm »
i'll add it, but my kids will inherit my unread list i'm afraid.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.