Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Batting 600  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
Batting 600
« on: April 18, 2019, 07:11:38 pm »
I took today off work for a funeral. On the way home I saw a swarm, stopped the car and put on my veil and gloves. Still in a suit and tie brushed a swarm into a deep and took them home. Got 2 phone calls from neighbors. Captured 2 more. There are 2 more in the woods east of the house. One about 90 feet up and at about 110 feet. High winds and rain are expected here this evening.
 Maybe they will come down... Anyway a good bee day.
                       Thankful for the Blessings of this day.  Sputnik.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Batting 600
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:59:38 pm »
That's a truely great day. I love it! Congratulations.  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:11:08 pm »
Wow! What a day. Guess you needed a pickup after the funeral. Good on you! :smile:
Neill

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 10:25:47 pm »
Have you read the telling of the bees?
It remarks that at 2 separate funerals the bees followed their masters to the cemetery in like 1930 and 1950. Anyway that?s why I?m here because bees are also rumored to bee a translator from this life to the next
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:39:43 pm »
Have you read the telling of the bees?
It remarks that at 2 separate funerals the bees followed their masters to the cemetery in like 1930 and 1950. Anyway that?s why I?m here because bees are also rumored to bee a translator from this life to the next
John Greenleaf Whittier wrote a beautiful poem called ?Telling the Bees?, which describes the custom in New England of informing the bees when there was a death in the family to try and prevent such incidents as you?ve described.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 12:31:59 am »
Congratulations. Remember, bees were put on earth for man.  :cheesy:
 Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:57 am »
Congratulations. Remember, bees were put on earth for man.  :cheesy:
 Jim Altmiller
Haha!  Here we go again!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 10:35:50 am »
Telling of the bees. I will look that up. I remember my Granny tell the bees that my Papaw passed away. She said if she did not tell them they would leave.
 The swarms up high have moved. 1 and half inches of rain and high winds last night. Search out the woods might find another batch of mushrooms as well.
 I will get Dad to help me build boxes and frames Saturday as we smoke the ham for our Easter feast
                            A Blessed Good Friday to all. Sputnik.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:53 am »
I just caught a large swarm this morning. I would honestly guess 35 pounds of bees. They are seeming content in their box.
                               Have a great day. Sputnik

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 11:55:13 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telling_the_bees
At least twice in our short history honey bees have attended their beekeepers funerals. In 1934, when Sam Roger?s died in Shropshire, England, his bees paid their farewell at his graveside funeral. They landed on a nearby tombstone and as soon as he was buried they departed.

When John Zepka of Berkshire Hills near Adams, Mass. died on April 27, 1956, thousands of his bees clustered inside the tent at the open grave site to pay their respect to the beekeeper who never wore any protective gear. As his coffin was lowered into the earth, the bees left the tent and returned to their hive on Zepka?s farm.
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 05:07:32 pm »
I just caught a large swarm this morning. I would honestly guess 35 pounds of bees. They are seeming content in their box.
                               Have a great day. Sputnik

Ok, that's huge. Wow! They should be ready for a 3-way split by the end of the week!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 07:29:44 am »
If the swarm is that big, they will have multiple queens. If you are going to split them you should do it right away before the start fighting and killing each other.
Use sugar water spray to keep them in the box while you search for queens.
Schawee has a video here on BeeMaster where he caught a very large swarm in a cardboard box and, I think, he pulled 7 queens out of it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 10:45:11 am »
When I first read Sputnik's post I thought it must be a typo, such as 3-5 instead of 35. I've never even heard of a swarm that big. Wow!
Neill

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 07:24:03 pm »
I had not thought of multiple queens. There were other swarms in the area at the time. We had just come out of a couple of day of bad weather.
        Thanks for the information. Sputnik.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 08:42:27 pm »
For an update I found 3 queens in this mass of bees. I could have missed some... I split them up and waiting to see the results.
              The information and advise from this site is of great value.
                                         Thanks again. Sputnik