Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why are well known US beekeepers not on this forum?  (Read 5299 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Why are well known US beekeepers not on this forum?
« on: September 20, 2023, 10:20:51 pm »
Why are so few well known and obviously very knowledgeable and often entertaining US beekeepers not on this forum?

I'm thinking of people like: Charles Linder, Peter Borst, Zac Lamas, Randy Oliver!!, Dewey Caron, Jeremy Barnes, Eugene Makovec...?

Have I missed them?

Randy Oliver has been doing excellent research which occasionally is mentioned on this forum?

What keeps them away?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Why are well known US beekeepers not on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 10:21:52 pm »
I guess you'd have to ask them.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 11:49:41 pm »
A lot of our very experienced beekeepers ended up on the beemaster facebook page and also doing their own pages and youtube videos.  The forum is kind of old school. 

Here's one example.  I have known JP for years and we have met several times.  He found other media to be more to his liking after years on here.

https://www.youtube.com/@JPthebeeman

I have known Yappy for years and we have spent time together.  Same as above.  He moved on to videos and Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/@YappyBeeman

Here is the beemaster companion facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/55633188198
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 07:45:38 am »
They are too busy and spend their time on a forum that supports commercial endeavors.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 08:54:40 am »
Max,
Good question.
I think Ace is correct for some of them.
Any chance you could send them an invite to join BeeMaster?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 11:59:53 am »
Current 'poplar' beekeepers are very busy doing their own thing 'Youtubing', 'Facebooking', traveling, lecturing, etc which no doubt takes much of their 'extra' time.  Kathy mentioned JP and Yappie for instance. As someone pointed out a couple years ago, JP once a top poster here, (and still in the top 10 all time posters), is now a facebook and youtube star and very poplar there. 
For 'poplar' beekeepers, including those who make a part of their 'income' with bees in one form or another, ;it all goes back to exposure I am thinking.  (As Ace pointed out Commercial); These big name Beekeepers would undoubtedly seek the most popular avenues of exposure for their time spent.
A forum that is not commercialized is not that avenue. This fact alone is reason we are blessed to have Michael Bush. Mr Bush, a long time member here at Beemaster and has been a 'faithful' member here even before the other poplar avenues of exposure were 'so poplar'. Isn't Mr Bush as big a name as it gets in Beekeeping? In my opinion he is. Michael has lectured here in America and abroad in other countries,  and has an all around understanding of honey bees. Even so he has been faithful in remaining an avid part of 'Beemasters' Beekeeping discussions...  Lucky us!!!! And Thank you Michael Bush!!!

Phillip

« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:07:49 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 05:15:45 pm »
To piggyback off of what Ben just said .. Thank you Michael Bush .... And thanks for your website linked in your signature line. Lots of great NO-BS info there.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:19:17 am by animal »
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 09:26:53 am »
I don't know for a fact but I think Mike makes most of his living off from lecturing, book publishing, and teaching.  And he is or was on both forums even though he is not treated as well on the commercial site.  Commercial beekeepers are strongly opinionated and do not like opposing views.  Even though some of their methods are different.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 09:49:07 am »

[/quote]
I don't know for a fact but I think Mike makes most of his living off from lecturing, book publishing, and teaching.  And he is or was on both forums even though he is not treated as well on the commercial site.  Commercial beekeepers are strongly opinionated and do not like opposing views.  Even though some of their methods are different.

Good point Brian. That is a quality I personally and especially appreciate in Mr Bush. His tolerating my questions that some superior thinking high caliber beekeeping upper classman or woman, might take as challenging while Michael seems to appreciate questions as questions lead to learning and understanding.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 09:07:21 am »
Hey if it wasn't for Mike I would have never made it past the first year of keeping bees.  I couldn't appreciate his beekeeping knowledge more.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 09:43:37 am »
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=56818.msg520994#msg520994

Here is some really good stuff here by Robo. Rob is quiet the Beekeeper and also inventor of 'The world famous' "Robo Bee Vac".. Rob is an active member here at Beemaster as well as part of the Administrative Team, Rob is also the guy in 'IT' that 'keeps' Beemaster Forums functioning! Rob is a "very important" part of Beemaster and VERY appreciated!!

Phillip

https://gab.com/bushkill_/posts/109915403463915044

bushkill ✝️
@bushkill_
Feb 23
?
?
Beekeeping
"Here is a presentation, "Critical Thinking Beekeeping" I did for Wake County Beekeepers Association in November.
@Peoplesbecrazy I give an overview of OTS queen rearing too."

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 10:12:54 am »
"TheHoneyPump" is a Neighboring North American Canadian Beekeeper who is a member here at Beemaster. Mr Claude P. is from a 7th generation beekeeping family whose family produces 'tons' of honey each year as well as 'thousands' of pounds of wax. It is imperative for such beekeepers with so much invested, to be on top of all the latest research and information available for the benefit of bees, as their livelihood depends upon it. 
The following publication, originally produced in response to "The15thMembers" varroa problem,  was re-posted by Robo, one of "TheHoneyPumps" detailed writings.

This will be a tremendous help to our Australian friends who study it. Thanks again Mr. HoneyPump for all you have done and do for beekeepers here at "Beemaster"!!

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=54623.msg497375#msg497375

« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 10:45:28 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 12:01:35 pm »
Why are so few well known and obviously very knowledgeable and often entertaining US beekeepers not on this forum?

I'm thinking of people like: Charles Linder, Peter Borst, Zac Lamas, Randy Oliver!!, Dewey Caron, Jeremy Barnes, Eugene Makovec...?

Have I missed them?

Randy Oliver has been doing excellent research which occasionally is mentioned on this forum?

What keeps them away?

I do not wish to leave others out' but the above few post should give a pretty good idea of some "well known and obviously very knowledgeable" beekeepers here at Beemaster. Beemaster is a treasure trove of valuable beekeeping information as well highly and valued, knowledgeable Members..

As far as 'entertaining beekeepers': There are other Headings here at Beemaster set aside for your entertainment, such as: HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING; THE SPORTS BAR; OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM and several more Headings. All posted by members of Beemaster and nearly, if not all, are by beekeepers...

I only recognized one of the beekeepers (Randy Oliver) that you listed above Max. But I agree with Beemaster2 "Any chance you could send them an invite to join BeeMaster?" The more the merrier and their presence will be 'more than welcome'..  :)

Thanks,

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 12:11:46 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2023, 01:04:17 pm »
> Charles Linder, Peter Borst, Zac Lamas, Randy Oliver!!, Dewey Caron, Jeremy Barnes, Eugene Makovec

The biggest forum out there is Beesource and I have seen none of those on beesource.  None of the bee scientists I know of, like Dewey Caron, are on any of the forums.  A few of these used to be on the email list B-List.  Maybe it still exists.  I never participated as it was tightly moderated to the point no one could state their opinion or experience without references.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 11:56:06 pm »
> Charles Linder, Peter Borst, Zac Lamas, Randy Oliver!!, Dewey Caron, Jeremy Barnes, Eugene Makovec

The biggest forum out there is Beesource and I have seen none of those on beesource.  None of the bee scientists I know of, like Dewey Caron, are on any of the forums.  A few of these used to be on the email list B-List.  Maybe it still exists.  I never participated as it was tightly moderated to the point no one could state their opinion or experience without references.

Yes, Bee-L still exists and Peter Borst and Randy Oliver are regular posters there. Others listed may lurk, never looked for a complete list of subscribers. Probably not available... Peter Borst recently visited us 'next door', lasted three days and has not been back.

Glad there are many different forums, lists, etc with different flavors! Makes it interesting, well except Facebook :angry: If the Usenet group sci.agriculture.beekeeping was still active I would be there as well.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 12:32:21 pm »
That's it.  Bee-L.  I couldn't remember.  I have searched it occasionally for answers, but have never participated.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 05:39:26 pm »
Rather then guessing...I wrote to quite a few.
here are the responses so far:
" too much chaff on Beesource compared to useful grain  "..." Tried it..more politics then bees"..." how many of the regulars are beekeepers?"..."I don?t know, I just never have joined BeeSource"..."Time?..  its all I can do to get articles out and my duties for the ABF."..." One huge problem with Beesource is the fools.  I think Solomon Parker really caused it a lot of pain!"..." I had heard in the past that it had looser moderation than Bee-L"..." I do not participate in online forums largely because I simply do not have the time to be an active participant. I simply cannot dedicate the time required to be involved heavily. "..." I don?t participate or join anything unless I can be active 110%," 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 07:24:21 pm »
Well, that just confirms what I have long suspected: Beesource is no good.  :beemaster:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 07:50:04 pm »
Well, that just confirms what I have long suspected: Beesource is no good.  :beemaster:
Beesource is for lefties

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2023, 09:04:11 pm »
I personally have not participated on other bee forums. Therefore I have no opinion, (nor a dog in that hunt so to speak), when it comes to opinions of other forums..
I am pleased that John Clayton (The Original "Beemaster"), sought to offer something for every member here at Beemaster Forums, and not just bees alone, by wisely creating Headings which cover a wide variety of subjects and topics. "Everyone is welcome" regardless of their political persuasion, just as it should be. Politics "will not be allowed" to be brought into those topics and conversations just as the uncalled for post above, which I am leaving for an example of what not to do!!! We strive to keep politics out of every heading 'except' the set aside Topic: "The Coffeehouse", where even politics may be discussed as long as the bylaws are followed, and the subject of bees must bees left out as prescribed 'in' the Bylaws  :shocked: lol...
I am just as pleased that Jim Altmiller "Beemaster2" has the same aspirations for Beemaster as well as same focus on the protection of family values here at 'Beemaster Forums' that John so wisely instilled here.
Beemaster is a place where every beekeeper is welcome as long as he or she is careful to follow our Bylaws which are simple, and should not be hard to conform too, nor comply with..

Phillip

« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 12:59:33 am by Ben Framed »

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2023, 11:04:39 pm »
Fascinating! Trust you did not typo the forum name in your invitation? Count nine total and four either name or imply (Solomon Parker) Beesource. Most of the others could refer to either, or both...

Big old "soggy potato chip" of forums with a bad reputation. Lingering reputation as Solomon has been gone seven years.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 07:52:46 am »
William - I don't quite get your comment?

I simply asked some well known Beekeepers why they are not contributing to the forum.
Michael made some suggestions - which i took on board.
I have no idea who the Solomon person is. I'm simply repeat what they sent me.

"Thanks for your note all the way from Australia! I hope to make it there someday!

I appreciate your question, although I don't have a great answer. It all boils down to there only being 24 hours in the day. My job keeps me very busy, and when I'm not on the clock for work, I tend to avoid my computer lest my workday will never end.

On the other hand, I just went down a rabbit hole exploring your website and the many wonderful resources available - thank you for sharing your expertise with the world! Thank you for reaching out, too!

Beesource is a great forum. Your nudge may just get me back on there. "

here is another feedback i just received"

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 10:39:41 am »
William - I don't quite get your comment?

I simply asked some well known Beekeepers why they are not contributing to the forum.
Michael made some suggestions - which i took on board.
I have no idea who the Solomon person is. I'm simply repeat what they sent me.

In message #4 above Jim asked you "Any chance you could send them an invite to join BeeMaster?" I assumed you did exactly that and was puzzled by all the responses mentioning Beesource.

Solomon Parker was a section moderator of the treatment free sub-forum on Beesource. Already long gone when I joined both here and there about four years ago. Opinions of Solomon by those who knew him tend to be highly polarized with little middle ground. As Forest Gump says, "That's all I have to say about that"

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2023, 12:19:28 pm »
"William Bagwell"
In message #4 above Jim asked you "Any chance you could send them an invite to join BeeMaster?" I assumed you did exactly that and was puzzled by all the responses mentioning Beesource.

Thanks William I am equally puzzled.

" too much chaff on Beesource compared to useful grain  "..." Tried it..more politics then bees"..." how many of the regulars are beekeepers?"..."I don?t know, I just never have joined BeeSource"..."Time?..  its all I can do to get articles out and my duties for the ABF."..." One huge problem with Beesource is the fools.  I think Solomon Parker really caused it a lot of pain!"..." I had heard in the past that it had looser moderation than Bee-L"..." I do not participate in online forums largely because I simply do not have the time to be an active participant. I simply cannot dedicate the time required to be involved heavily. "..." I don?t participate or join anything unless I can be active 110%,"

> "Rather then guessing...I wrote to quite a few."

@ Max2, Beemaster2 graciously ask you to invite those names who you mentioned and hold in high esteem, from your very first post, to join us here at Beemaster Forums.
I am now understandably confused; Instead of posting replies of that invitation, you have posted general responses to why they do not post at "Beesource", another Honeybee Forum, which has nothing to do with Beemaster Forums, nor the request of Jim, (Beemaster2), asking you to invite them to join us here at Beemaster... 
To be clear, what was it, "the exact 'words' ", you "wrote to quit a few"?  Did you extend that gracious invitation to them to join us here at Beemaster, as Beemaster2 ask of you and placed in your trust, or what?

Thanks,

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2023, 05:54:06 pm »
Having some time to spend on the computer I pressed " new posts".
This is the first page:
Subject    Replies    Last post

Solar Energy? New

Started by Terri Yaki in THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM ))) ? 1 2 3  All ?
   43 Replies
198 Views    Last post Today at 05:06:25 pm
by Terri Yaki

Those Red Potatoes! New

Started by Ben Framed in FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE
   3 Replies
42 Views    Last post Today at 04:35:41 pm
by Lesgold

a weak colony and a swarm New

Started by filmmlif in GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.
   15 Replies
4501 Views    Last post Today at 12:23:56 pm
by Ben Framed

Police State, The Movie New

Started by Terri Yaki in THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM )))
   12 Replies
75 Views    Last post Today at 11:58:26 am
by Kathyp

Biden's Vacations New

Started by Terri Yaki in THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM )))
   2 Replies
12 Views    Last post Today at 11:53:03 am
by Kathyp

What are you willing to eat OR Bugs in our food? New

Started by Kathyp in THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM ))) ? 1 2 3  All ?
   45 Replies
200 Views    Last post Today at 11:42:33 am
by The15thMember

Fruit and/or Nut Trees New

Started by The15thMember in GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE ? 1 2  All ?
   24 Replies
505 Views    Last post Today at 11:28:23 am
by cao

Judge Joe Brown On Trump New

Started by Ben Framed in THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM )))
   15 Replies
88 Views    Last post Today at 10:35:55 am
by animal

Who Will Be The Next Speaker Of The House? New

Started by Ben Framed in THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM ))) ? 1 2 ... 5 6 ?
   113 Replies
600 Views    Last post Today at 08:33:51 am
by Terri Yaki

Electric Vehicles? New

Started by Terri Yaki in THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM ))) ? 1 2 3 ?
   56 Replies
262 Views    Last post Today at 08:18:20 am
by Terri Yaki

Mark ALL messages as read
    All Unread Topics

Pages: [1]

One Bee related post...

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2023, 07:44:39 pm »
Max, keep in mind that here in the northern hemisphere we are heading into winter.  I'll be doing the last of my final inspections and winterizing the apiary this weekend.  Many of our more northern members are already into winter.  We don't have really anything bee-related to discuss this time of year.  You Aussies will have to carry the bulk of the bee conversation until March or April. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2023, 09:45:07 pm »
You might try these recent "Bee Related Subjects" below Max. Maybe you will find them to be of interest?

In addition; You will find 512,261 total post here at Beemaster, found in 53,942 Topics! With 254,426 of those Topics in General Beekeeping 'alone'! I hope this information will be of help to you in finding "plenty" of Honey Bee related discussion to read, enjoy, and ingest? If not, feel free to start any new 'bee related' topic in which you may need help, or simply wish to discuss.

Recent Bee Related Topics:

"A weak colony and a swarm" General Beekeeping Today.  15 Replies 4504 Views

"Fruit and/or Nut Trees" bee related GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE  Today  24 Replies 523 Views                                       

"Today I Made"
EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS: Yesterday   151 Replies 6,126 Views

"Beekeeping as a career?" General Beekeeping  Tuesday.  10 Replies 2869 Views

"Thoughts On Bottom Board Oil Trays" General Beekeeping  Monday.       
49 Replies 6887 Views

"Wintering nucs". General Beekeeping Monday.         8 Replies 682 Views

"Experiment gone wrong". General Beekeeping Monday.        10 Replies 174 Views

"Common Crop Chemical Leaves Bees Susceptible to Deadly Viruses" DISEASE & PEST CONTROL Yesterday
4 Replies 2416 Views

"Frame Jig" Rapid Beeyard Growth  last Thursday.   14 Replies 22,151 Views

"Maybe eating pollen is good for you.".    Monday.         10 Replies 3,437 Views

« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 01:23:26 am by Ben Framed »