Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Please post your bottom board idea's..  (Read 1537 times)

Offline rockink

• House Bee
Please post your bottom board idea's..
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:40:00 pm »
I know some of you build your own woodenware and i will be doing the same.

I have found some plans but I'm going to replace all of my hives bottom boards as I don't like the ones I have. Everything I have was given to me..

I'm planning on making something that is screened, has a tray of some sort for oil but also can be closed up in the wintertime with out disturbing the bees.

I would really like to see what other ideas/suggestions are out there.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Please post your bottom board idea's..
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:02:09 am »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eMKVf2YErZBBz8pJ6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TfeVRYhTRPT6w4nR9
As you can see from the photo of the BB in use a flat board goes on the bottom.  In the back is another loose 2x4 that closes off the space underneath the screen.  The plastic tray simply sets on the plywood and can be removed from the back of the hive.  You can make the screened area any size you want or leave it solid if that is your thing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:16:18 am »

I have been using vertical entrance bottom boards for close to 10 years now and am very happy with them.  Small hive beetles are not an issue in our climate, so I can't give any thoughts on that.   I have recently did away with the rear vent holes as they just propolis them anyway and I have reduced the entrance to 6" wide.   Also staple a piece of Reflectix under the bottom to improve insulation.   Note the pictures show wooden hive, but I use beemax exclusively.

The advantages of the vertical entrance are:

1. Greatly reduces the draft on the bottom of the brood nest.  With a standard Langstroth bottom board,  the queen rarely, if ever, lays eggs on the bottom of the frames.   With the vertical entrance there is no wind blowing directly into the brood area. It also creates hydraulic resistance for heat loss as validated by Derek Mitchell using computational fluid dynamics.  Derek continues to do great research on the thermal properties of bee nests.  His original paper, Ratios of colony mass to thermal conductance of tree and man-made nest enclosures of Apis mellifera: implications for survival, clustering, humidity regulation and Varroa destructor, is here. Warmer and moister brood chambers can also help with varroa control.

Quote from: Tucson AHB/Mites Conference RIFA Control
Temperature seems to have more of an impact on Varroa reproduction than most people thought. While 95?F is ?brood nest temperature,? that temperature fluctuates some with climatic conditions. By carefully controlling temperature, Varroa were found to reproduce best at 93?F. Performance was a bit worse at 88-91 and 95?. At the lower than brood nest temperatures, the post-capping period is extended about one day per 2?F. At higher temperatures the post-capping period is not shortened significantly. However, at ?brood nest? and higher temperatures, mite reproduction drops way off. In the same study it was shown that 53% of the mites on brood held at 59-68% RH (normal) reproduced normally but at humilities of 79-85% only 2% of the mites reproduced. Hot, humid brood nests are tough on Varroa. Studies of Apis cerana brood nests showed drone brood is reared at 92?F (perfect for Varroa) and worker brood is incubated at 96-98?F (too hot for Varroa). Purposely cooling the brood nest in Apis mellifera colonies by using a ?thin? hive lid, open bottom board, simulative feeding to spread brood out, and splitting the brood nest with frames of foundation doubled the numbers of mites on the bees.

Quote from:  Experimentation of an Anti-Varroa Screened Bottom Board in the Context of Developing an Integrated Pest Management Strategy for Varroa Infested Honeybees in the Province of Quebec
The antivarroa bottom board must never be used with its bottom hole opened as this leads to a lowering of cluster temperature resulting in ideal conditions for varroa development. As confirmed in 2000, this situation not only negated the beneficial effects of the bottom board, it also resulted in a net increase in the mite infestation rate (29.2% more varroa mites, non significant) as compared to the control group.
2. Helps with robbing.  Most robbers seem to prefer direct entrance into a hive, that is why robber screen (relocate entrance) work so well.  With the vertical entrance,  guard bees can not only patrol the horizontal landing area, but can also guard the actual entrance gap from above as well.  Guarding from above provides a distinct advantage of intruders coming up from below.
3. Built in mouse guard.  Preparing hives for winter is often a daunting task and often we run short on time.  Never miss getting mouse guards on again.  You fight to hard to keep your bees alive,  don?t fall victim to mice killing a colony over the winter.
4.Vertical entrance provides drainage and air circulation during winter months even in heavy snow areas.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 10:32:31 am »
 Here are my home made screened bottom boards. #8 screen and a full size lunch tray with a redwood frame. I made  them heavier than anything commercially available and used red wood because the commercial pine SBB rot out in about three years. I was going to use pressure treated lumber and cedar but had a pile of scrap red wood from a project so use it instead.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 01:02:47 pm »
I build the frames with 2x2 and plywood bottom. #8 hardware cloth screen. I get aluminium cookie sheets 2 for a buck at dollar tree. I build a door in the rear to access the pan without disturbing the hive. I put in used cooking oil.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 01:28:14 pm »
This is awesome! Thank you everyone for taking the time to put this info out here.

Acebird - I like the rigidness/sturdiness a 2x4 would provide.

Robo - do you have any plans for the vertical bottom board? Not much out there on dimensions. The entrance looks wider than the normal 3/4".

Beeboy01 - Are those just standard lunchroom trays?

Sputnik - does the tray act as protection for winter time to block drafts? Or is that even a concern where you like?

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:43:50 pm »
@rockink    Here are the original plans.   My current design has the plywood floor in dados of the sides and eliminates the shims and simplifying the assembly.  Also has changed the front a little for strength.    Unfortunately I don't have the new plans in 10 Frame wood Lang yet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »
The door in the back closes tightly to prevent a draft. Here in East Tennessee you never know what kind of winter is coming.