Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another swarm I don?t understand  (Read 4013 times)

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Re: Another swarm I don?t understand
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »
Then at this point you can either buy a mated queen for the yellow hive or give them 3 frames of bees from the purple hive to make another queen.  I don't know if it is too late to make a new queen in your area.  Make a small nuc with one or 2 QCs will work. 

If it is me, I would buy a mated queen and donate 3 frames of cap broods and bees to the yellow hive.  It is better to overwinter with 3-6 hives either full size or nuc size.  This way next Spring you will have some that survive to make splits from.  If possible I try to get 10 hives build up before the winter here.  My only limitation is having enough drawn comb for splits.  Currently maxed out for the season.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 11:48:25 am »
I guess I?ll get a mated Queen since I have never tried that route
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 10:45:15 pm »
I am curious if the purple hive that is believe has the new queen from the yellow that swarmed will make it through the winter. It seems to be doing well but it only has one brood box and now has turned the box I had for them as a brood box, using it as a honey super. I placed another super on it. Will it  eventually make another brood box or just swarm again?
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 08:25:02 am »
You are describing back filling.  And if that is the case they have decided to swarm.  Crowding will cause a swarm at any time of the flying season.  You have to add boxes before they make a decision and you have to make sure they use the box unless it is drawn comb.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 12:11:46 am »
You are describing back filling.

Does that mean I pull some of the brood frames and place them in the next super where the honey is?
Thanks
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 02:38:10 am »
Bees like their broodnest in an oval shape pattern inside these boxes.  So they will
build the brood nest first in the middle follow by the pollen band and finally the
honey band.  If you give them 3 boxes, they will fill in the oval shape brood nest with this pattern.  That is why some beekeepers, including the commercial operation, will use a QE to harvest the honey.  Their boxes might be 2 honey supers and 1 brood nest box.  I modify this set up a bit to include 2 laying queens in 3 boxes.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 08:37:07 am »
Back filling is what the bees do when they have made a decision to swarm.  The queen stops laying eggs and the brood nest is filled with nectar (not usually capped honey).  If they are capping it then you may have a chance to get them to except the top box by pulling frames up into it.  The unknown is what is happening to the flow in your area?  If the flow has tapered off or even stopped then the queen is going to stop laying and they may cap the honey in the nest and not expand into the top box because they have no need to.  Probably the most important thing a beekeeper can learn in the first year is the flows in their area.  The flows affect what bees do and what decisions a beekeeper should make.  Flows are the one thing that most beekeepers in an area don't disagree on.  The internet is wonderful for learning about bees but local clubs are the answer for flows.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 11:29:54 am »
I got my new queen in the mail today to add to my one hive that swarmed. After I check for an existing queen and queen cells, do I add the new queen like starting a new package hive?
Thanks!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 08:57:29 pm »
Art you can do that. I would take the queen in the queen cage and put on top of the frames and see how the bees react. After the bees cover the cage, I would pick it up and slide my bare finger or if necessary a nitrate gloved hand and slide my finger slowly across the screen. If the want a new queen, you can slide your finger. If they are not ready, they will bee biting the screen and will not move easily.
If they easily move I open the screen and carefully release her on the frames. Take to not release her into the air.
If they are attacking the screen, place her in the hive in the cage.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 12:52:34 am »
Art you can do that. I would take the queen in the queen cage and put on top of the frames and see how the bees react. After the bees cover the cage, I would pick it up and slide my bare finger or if necessary a nitrate gloved hand and slide my finger slowly across the screen. If the want a new queen, you can slide your finger.
If they are attacking the screen, place her in the hive in the cage.
Jim

Sawdstmakr,
I got this too late. I placed her inside in her crate. I hope they are ready. I have to get a hive to survive the winter!
Thanks, Art
Check out my Blog!:

anything