Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Leather Protector  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Leather Protector
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:21:00 pm »
Hello folks,

Wondering if someone would have a recipe for beeswax leather ointment.  My friend does the most beautiful leather work such as saddles, belts and roping bags. 

She also has an order for a collar for my puppy..!

Thanks,

Lone

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Leather Protector
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:10:17 pm »
Melt beeswax.  Add a dollop of Vaseline.  Stir.  Let cool.  If it's too stiff, repeat.  It works best if the leather is warm.  Set the leather by the wood-stove (or by your oven with the door open if you are unfortunate enough not to have one...).  Then the treatment will soak in better.  Vaseline by itself doesn't work too badly but with the beewsax it lasts longer.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:23:54 am »
Thanks Michael.  1:1 wax:vaseline is the recipe I got from here a while ago, and I melt it in a double boiler to make shoe protector.  However, my friend would like to avoid vaseline/parrafin.  I'm not sure why.  I think she said it can cause leather to crack.

Lone

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:43:38 pm »
i had a saddle made years ago and they conditioned it with olive oil.  that's what i have used ever since.  don't see why olive oil and bees wax wouldn't do the trick?  might be worth a try.   

being somewhat lazy, this is what i use.

http://www.skidmores.com/
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:09:57 am »
At a guess Skidmore's won't share their recipe even if I ask nicely, Kathy.  It could be an experiment to mix olive oil and wax.  I wouldn't like to muck her leather work up, though.  I see Skidmore's beeswax waterproofer is mostly wax.  That concept will be great for the dog collar as Lil Liza Jane has a tendency to jump in the trough at any opportunity.

Lone

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:27:32 am »
Skidmores has several formulas but you are right, no way to know the way it's put together.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:16:58 pm »
Lone

I have heard that Neatsfoot Oil & tallow mixed with beeswax is good as a leather dressing, but I do not have a recipe that I can help you with.

Kevin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:43:13 am »
I have done neatsfoot oil and beeswax and it worked fine.  Any oil that will make it thinner so it's a paste will work.  Vaseline, in my experience, is the best.  it lasts longer and never makes the leather brittle.  Plant oils get brittle after a while.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything