Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which frames have fewest crevices for hiding hive beetles?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Which frames have fewest crevices for hiding hive beetles?
« on: December 08, 2019, 02:04:05 pm »
I need to buy more frames for next year.  It's agreed that SHB hide and/or lay eggs in tiny crevices on frames in the hive.  Which frame type has the fewest opportunities for SHB?

I already know about not leaving the groove open on a foundationless wood frame, it's best to block it with a well-fit shim or the breakoff "wedge."  And I know it's good to jam some wax or propolis in the nail divets and any gaps on a wood frame. 

But ultimately, which frame is the most SHB resistant? Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Which frames have fewest crevices for hiding hive beetles?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 08:35:41 am »
You assume that they are hiding places.  I think the bees see them as corrals to corner the SHB and then propolize them in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:34:42 pm »

A problem is also an opportunity!

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 03:42:40 pm »
This trap requires of course some #8 or #7 mesh on top, to keep bees out. 

The problem is that it will draw all beetles for miles.  When I tried japanese beetle traps for my roses (up north) I put the traps 300 feet from the roses.  The traps got packed with beetles, but some beetles still made it to my garden. It's likely a long term battle until a 5 mile radius gets cleared.  And if someone nearby is composting vegetables, more SHB are breeding there.

I can put them 150 ft from the hive and 300 ft from the hive.  Is it a more of a problem (draws more beetles)? Or more of an opportunity (any dead SHB is good)?
Thanks for your input.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:50:00 pm »
I would say an opportunity to knock them back? I don't know, but it seems to me the beetles are going to ''come anyway'' to our hives? If that is so, I think you are on the right track. Especially if this bait is irresistible to them. It seems it is better to have the traps out with the hope of detouring the beatles away from our hives and straight to their death? There are times when it just makes more sense to be proactive than reactive? Is this your first small hive beetle traps? Have you tried this before for SHB? I am thinking if you are as successful with these as you were with your Japanese beetle traps, this should be the ticket! Please keep us updated.  Good Post...
Phillip

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:10:12 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 01:08:53 am »
bump
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.