Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making creamed honey  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Making creamed honey
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:54:36 pm »
A little disappointed in our first attempt.  Has anyone used starter seed?  We used a creamed honey off the shelf.  It?s a bit gritty.  Problem is we don?t have a whole lot of choices here.

We fortunately only did a couple of jars so no real waste.

Just wanted to find out how the seed starter worked and how much a 1lbs package does.
You are what you think.

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Making creamed honey
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:09:00 pm »
Can't you just create your own seed? It boggles my mind how beekeepers would buy another beekeeper's creamed honey to make their own creamed honey.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:54:24 pm »
Since my main honey is made from canola, i make nearly all into creamed honey. With canola no problem, if it starts to crystalize stir it 1 to two times a day for 30 s, but for the summer honey, i add about 1 pound of canola to 90 pounds (else it will crystalize somewhere in the next 1-6 next months). Stir once a day, until you see it really gets going (mostly 2 days), then stir 2 times a day (most times for 3 days) and you are good to go.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:24:58 am »
Can't you just create your own seed? It boggles my mind how beekeepers would buy another beekeeper's creamed honey to make their own creamed honey.

Since this is new to us we decided this year to use a starter.  Once we understand what we are doing then we will try creating our own
You are what you think.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:22:40 am »
Since my main honey is made from canola, i make nearly all into creamed honey. With canola no problem, if it starts to crystalize stir it 1 to two times a day for 30 s, but for the summer honey, i add about 1 pound of canola to 90 pounds (else it will crystalize somewhere in the next 1-6 next months). Stir once a day, until you see it really gets going (mostly 2 days), then stir 2 times a day (most times for 3 days) and you are good to go.
That`s the way I do it, too.
Also depends on the stirring tool. Should fit the purpose.
What is canola? We got rape-seed in spring. Candies fast. This year I  started it, too, because all the buckets would otherwise start at different times.... Next year I will be able to make larger homogenious patches.

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 02:35:36 am »

Since this is new to us we decided this year to use a starter.  Once we understand what we are doing then we will try creating our own

Just to get You started, I DO NOT recommend the use of stirrer, it can be replaced.
Do as robirot wrote. Use a stirring tool from the hardwares for plaster, cement, mortar. A fellow around here uses the normal mortar-stirring-tool (the part going into the mortar and spinning) for the honey, too. I find it disgusting and un-loyal to the customer. But till You got it going and if its just for Your breakfast-table...
Then get a stirring-tool for the same mchine made of stainless steel.

I got one that is supposed to be able to make creamy honey out of crystallized one directly in one go. First try was good, but my (really good!) drill was almost smoking at the end. Will get a mortar-stirrer for it, too.

There is of course special and bigger equipment to be had....

Do not use crystalline honey as a starter. It has to be all-smooth.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 10:36:08 am »
Did you heat your base honey (not seed honey)?
John 3:16

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 10:37:01 am »
No, no need to.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 10:43:26 am »

What is canola? We got rape-seed in spring. Candies fast.
Canola is a low-acid variety or rapeseed.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 11:20:50 am »
I would even say, keep it as cool as possible, as the candying is faster and You need to stir less often.
cooler rooms are better, no fridge is necessary.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 11:39:56 am »
No, no need to.

Depends on the possible grains in the honey you start with and what end product you want....he is complaining about the grit of the honey. No heat could work good with your honey and not his.  I doubt seriously it was the seed honey. He can taste the seed honey and determine grit of the seed. If seed was ok then it was the size of the sugar crystals in his honey. Dyce method would eliminate that... correct???

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 11:47:08 am »
A little disappointed in our first attempt.  Has anyone used starter seed?  We used a creamed honey off the shelf.  It?s a bit gritty

Are you saying the seed was gritty?

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 12:01:43 pm »
Now longer Version, Roomtemperature in the cellar ist avout 15?C, quite perfect.
Over 20?C you get slow crystallization, which favors long and big crystals. Less then 10?C fast crystallisation, where you would need to stir at least 4 times a day and still won't get a gold result.

For stirring, there are lots oft different of different, and basically two different ways to make creamed honey.
The better way, which results in steady results is to make the creamed straight from the raw honey.
Srew all the tools cited above by blackforrest beekeper, don't be a cheap ass here (well in fact all the shortcuts won't save you anything and are more expensive). What you need is a stirring spiral, you can get it e.g. at betterbee. But the best is a spiral with a middle pole and made in one part (easier to clean, the ones fixed with screws) like this:
https://www.holtermann-shop.de/Honigernte/Cremig-ruehren/ApiNord---Ruehrspirale.html.

And don't resort to things like cement or paunt  stirrers, they are made for different materials. Cement stirrers are designed to go down into a mass of sand and usally have quite sharp edges. They will scrape plastic of your buckets. Paint stirrers are made for fluid medium.

So my process is: Take a bucket of creamed honey from last year, heat it overnight at 40?C, to get back into a workable consistency, put it next to the honey to be creamed. stirr a couple seconds and now pull the spiral out and stirr the honey to be creamed with it. Quite a lot of honey sticks to the spiral, thats whats going to be your seed and is directly well distributed.

Now stirr two times a day until it got a opaque color, then bottle.

If you can't bottle straight let it settle. To bottle it heat overnight at 40?C, stirr 60 s and you are ready to go.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 12:04:38 pm »
If you got gritty honey (not just the Sees) all you can do, is to fully liquify your again. For that you will need a heatingspiral, the size of your bucket or heated strainer.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 12:16:38 pm »
Just looked up the dyce method, well much work to achieve the same. I would rather use some bought creamed honey for the first batch, after that you have your own stock or take the crystallized honey, and push some of it through a #80 mesh sieve. Remeber all you need is about 1% distributed good. It's not rocket since, stay with the simple methods and you will achieve a good and consistent result.

For watercontent 16-18% make the best.

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 02:17:04 pm »
If you got gritty honey (not just the Sees) all you can do, is to fully liquify your again. For that you will need a heatingspiral, the size of your bucket or heated strainer.
or this one: will do without prior liquifying.

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 02:19:15 pm »
Now longer Version, Roomtemperature in the cellar ist avout 15?C, quite perfect.
Over 20?C you get slow crystallization, which favors long and big crystals. Less then 10?C fast crystallisation, where you would need to stir at least 4 times a day and still won't get a gold result.

For stirring, there are lots oft different of different, and basically two different ways to make creamed honey.
The better way, which results in steady results is to make the creamed straight from the raw honey.
Srew all the tools cited above by blackforrest beekeper, don't be a cheap ass here (well in fact all the shortcuts won't save you anything and are more expensive). What you need is a stirring spiral, you can get it e.g. at betterbee. But the best is a spiral with a middle pole and made in one part (easier to clean, the ones fixed with screws) like this:
https://www.holtermann-shop.de/Honigernte/Cremig-ruehren/ApiNord---Ruehrspirale.html.

And don't resort to things like cement or paunt  stirrers, they are made for different materials. Cement stirrers are designed to go down into a mass of sand and usally have quite sharp edges. They will scrape plastic of your buckets. Paint stirrers are made for fluid medium.

So my process is: Take a bucket of creamed honey from last year, heat it overnight at 40?C, to get back into a workable consistency, put it next to the honey to be creamed. stirr a couple seconds and now pull the spiral out and stirr the honey to be creamed with it. Quite a lot of honey sticks to the spiral, thats whats going to be your seed and is directly well distributed.

Now stirr two times a day until it got a opaque color, then bottle.

If you can't bottle straight let it settle. To bottle it heat overnight at 40?C, stirr 60 s and you are ready to go.

Thats the one I use, too. Just with a bigger machine behind it.
The mortar-thing was not used by me, but a collegue.
Of course, I never thought of the plastic being abrased!

40 C? Thats a bit rash. I go max. 30. Sometimes 35 is necessary for good "bottling" (we use wide-mouth-jars).

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 02:35:28 pm »
First and foremost - I ain't got a clue about making creamed honey - but it's in my near future.

At our state conference this weekend a class was taught on making creamed honey. The speaker mentioned that your creamed honey will crystalize according to the bigger crystals, either in the starter or your crystalized honey. He recommended liquefying your honey if it had crystals in it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:39 pm »
A little disappointed in our first attempt.  Has anyone used starter seed?  We used a creamed honey off the shelf.  It?s a bit gritty

Are you saying the seed was gritty?

Yup,  trying to find out if that?s the major problem or not.  Can I get a smoother honey than what I start with.  Trying to find out if anyone has used the seed starter you can get from Dadant.
You are what you think.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 08:31:16 pm »
I started with a one pound tub of sue bee raw whipped honey last fall. I?ve made several gallons from it so far and still have a half gallon of seed for the future.

anything