Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Missing Queen?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Robsc

• New Bee
Missing Queen?
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:54:48 pm »
I set up a 2 frame mating nuc last week. The queen emerged last Wednesday. I went and checked a little after daylight this morning to see if she was laying. I could not find her or any eggs. The reason I checked early this am was I didn't want to miss her if she was still out on a mating flight later in the day. Will a queen stay out all night? She may have never made it back from a flight. Should I give it a couple more days or start over?

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Missing Queen?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:10:37 pm »
My average in good weather is eggs 10 days after emerging.  It is easy to spook a virgin by making inspections, it is possible to frighten them to the point they abscond. 

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:38:03 pm »
My success rate is much lower this time of year. I recently went 0 for 4 then next try went 4 for 4. Now I am 1 queen short but have capped gueen cells. Probably split cells up to increase odds of getting mated queen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:01:55 pm »
It is very difficult to spot a virgin queen. There is a good chance that you missed seeing her.
I would wait another week to see if you can see eggs.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:48:41 am »
Sometime the virgin will take more time for her mating flights weather permitting.  I say to give her
more time if you've confirmed that there is a virgin inside.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Missing Queen?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 02:57:41 am »
My average in good weather is eggs 10 days after emerging.  It is easy to spook a virgin by making inspections, it is possible to frighten them to the point they abscond.

My experience wrt timeline has been similar.  This season I had time to check on emergence of the queens.   I?ve kept track and marked on a calendar emergence dates and laying dates.  Only a very few were laying in 8 days.  Most were laying in 12-14 days.  The ones that were not laying at 20 days, I pinched and started over.

The number of ?lost? queens varied as the season progressed.  From hi losses 65% in June, no losses in July, 25% losses in August, and 100% losses and poor layers from August 25 onwards.  Causes of the losses? 
- Weather shifts are a killer.  It is common to experience sudden shift in mid afternoon weather patterns resulting in high gusty winds and thunderstorms.  If she?s flown off a ways, she will not make it back and will perish from exposure.  June and September are unsettled stormy months here.  Nice calm blazing sunshine mornings, booming thunder and gusting by 4pm in the afternoon.  The Queens and Drones did not usually come out until about 2pm, so was easy and often that they got caught off guard ...
- Predators.  In June it is relentless dragonflies and some birds.  In August it is voracious wasps and hornets.
- Too late in the season, September onwards.  Drone numbers are dwindling and they are being evicted from the hives.  The Queens have to fly farther and harder to find mates.  Late season mated queens do not last, do not lay long before turning drone layer ... if she makes it back from her flight. 

No, I sincerely doubt she can stay out overnight and come back next day.  My observations are that I sincerely doubt she can be away from the hive for much more than 30 minutes before she runs out of energy (needs food) and cannot make it back simply due to fatigue and an empty gas tank.

If you have an eye for queens, and working them in reasonably small/med sized hive or mating nuc; the virgins are really easy to spot.  They look just like a queen, with a smaller behind and faster moving.  Very distinctly queen looking, no mistaken.  If see her in the hive give her some days grace, but not too many if the weather has been good.  The bees will not evict her if she is a dud.  With a new queen They will suffer her lack of performance and drone laying.  If you do not see her in the hive in the evening at beedtime.  Start over the next day.

Depending where you are, imho trying to raise queens at this point in the year is a lost cause.  You should instead consider to Combine with another colony or just bite-it and shake them out.  Spend the time cleaning out your equipment getting ready for next year.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:17:37 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Robsc

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 11:00:31 am »
She never did show back up. The dragonflies are huge and more abundant this year than I've ever seen. Thought about breaking out the shotgun. Could be more fun than shooting skeet.   :cheesy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 02:55:28 pm »
We get a large number of dragonflies here. I never bother them no matter how hard they are on my bees. They eat a lot of bugs, a lot!
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Robsc

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 04:48:33 pm »
Thats the reason they get a pass here also. We have zero problems with mosquitoes or any other flying pests.