Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can Beetle Larva be Stopped once hatched?  (Read 1098 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Can Beetle Larva be Stopped once hatched?
« on: April 15, 2018, 06:32:32 pm »
 Can a bee kill a SHB larva or are the bees totally at the mercy of the SHB once they hatch?  Thanks . Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Re: Can Beetle Larva be Stopped once hatched?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:14:54 pm »
Depends on the strength of the hive and how bad the infestation is. From personal experience once the larva gets to the point where they are slimming the comb the hive is lost unless the beekeeper intervenes.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:38:08 pm »
With dry oil trays, I often times find a large amount of larvae in the trays, especially 2-3 days after an inspection. I find the same thing in my observation hive after it is disturbed. If the bees catch them in time they are able to clean them out with little damage.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »
With dry oil trays, I often times find a large amount of larvae in the trays, especially 2-3 days after an inspection. I find the same thing in my observation hive after it is disturbed. If the bees catch them in time they are able to clean them out with little damage.
Jim

Thanks Jim Good to know. Also thanks Beeboy01 for your reply..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything