Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winterizing my TBH for NY winter.  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Woody1951

• New Bee
Winterizing my TBH for NY winter.
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:13:08 pm »
I have read or seen on utube a few people doing this for weather like mine. They tighten up the bottom, insulate the top and cork off all the holes but one or two. Will that be enough? Maybe windbreaks of some sort?

Before hive one was mine a guy had a healthy hive that froze to death in what looked like early winter.  He didn't do any winterization at all. I just don't want to see it happen again.

Is Oct. to soon to button things up?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Winterizing my TBH for NY winter.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:39 pm »
Insulating the cover is useful.  I never had any luck with wrapping as it just seals in all the moisture and the wood is wet all winter and the comb gets moldy.  I think top ventilation is the most important thing.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswinter.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Woody1951

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:28:25 am »
<<I think top ventilation is the most important thing.>>

So Michael, if I put a piece of R16 wrapped in plastic bags in the roof like another utube video taught me, there will be no ventilation there correct? Maybe small screened in hole(s) under the bars and behind the fowler board and feeder? I heard leave 2 holes open. 1 on top for the workers and 1 on the bottom for the drones to get out. Maybe 1 top and bottom to match those. The drones are gone soon enough. I can shut them right off then having only one on top? I may be way off on this also. If I am please forgive me.

Hive #1 has only a slit on the bottom in the end. I am putting a mouse guard on that which gives me the same ventilation problem.

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 10:59:20 am »
don't have any bees yet. but I know about insulation the insulation should be able to breathe , wrap should be fabric . if you cut a cross section in this setup in freezing weather you will find a layer of frost somewhere in the insulation .however if wrapped in plastic the moisture will condense on the surface or be contained within the inclosure. either way bad for bees. even a burlap bag would work. good luck keeping them alive and healthy. :smile:
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt